Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clock in clock shop

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1
    Have any of u noticed the classic clock hang in the time shops always pointing to 10:10 ? (note: i mean the classical one, not the digital one). Do you know why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I do not know how much truth there is to this, but I've heard that Timex started this trend when photographing their products for magazines. The 10:10 (or 10 to 2) position is merely to frame their logo, which is below the 12.

4. Mar 27, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every clock shop I've ever been in has the clocks all on different times and all running. That's because if you want to know how they sound or what they do when they chime the hour, the owner of the clock shop just adjusts the time to the hour for you.

5. Mar 27, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess would just be that 10:10 and 1:50 look nice and symmetrical.

Either way, they're right twice a day...

6. Mar 27, 2005 #5
    Same here. It gets kinda irritating though, listening to all the ticking and tocking in an amalgamated fashion.. and then listening to all the various dinging every hour...

Its like having a marching band playing at the same time, but having each instrument playing a different song.

7. Mar 27, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm told that it "creates the subconcious image of a smiley face". Presumably thats supposed to be good for sales or something...

8. Mar 27, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

But if the Timex thing is right, doesn't that predate smiley faces?

I always thought that they just kept everything running a couple of minutes apart so the constant chiming would attract the attention of shoppers (and coincidentally piss off their neighbours). :biggrin:

9. Mar 28, 2005 #8
    And that, as we all should know, should never ever be done. Just not cool.

10. Mar 28, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mostly, I'm told that the 10:10 (or thereabouts) time is frequently used because :
    (i) it is symmetric and hence visually pleasing,
    (ii) it doesn't block out the manufacturer or model names which are usually printed just above and below center - in fact , it may naturally bring your attention to the maker's name which is sort of cradled within the "V".

Besides the"smiley" theory, there's one more theory out there that's worth mentioning (even if it's nothing more than an oft repeated fabrication). It usually involves some statement to the effect that "time stopped when Lincoln was shot" - which I think happened around 10:14.

11. Mar 28, 2005 #10
    A 10-10 police call in michigan means there eating lunch.

12. Mar 29, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I've seen Michigan police. For them, lunch is a 24-7 call... :tongue:

13. Mar 29, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, I always assumed that there are large gravity variations in clock shops. :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?