Clock Oscillation: Q Calculation for 0.7 m Pendulum w/ 0.4 kg Bob

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a grandfather clock with a pendulum length of 0.7 m and a mass bob of 0.4 kg. The question asks for the Q value of the system, and two equations are provided to help solve the problem. The conversation also mentions the use of the information about a 2 kg mass dropping to find the rate of energy added to the pendulum and the relationship between power dissipated and the coefficient of damping.
CaptainEvil

Homework Statement

A grandfather clock has a pendulum length of 0.7 m and a mass bob of 0.4 kg. A mass
of 2 kg falls 0.8 m in seven days, providing the energy necessary to keep the amplitude
(from equilibrium) of the pendulum oscillation steady at 0.03 rad. What is the Q of the
system?

Homework Equations

1) Q = [tex]\omega[/tex]R/2[tex]\beta[/tex]

2) Q = [tex]\omega[/tex]0/[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured only equation 1 would help me here, and I can re-arrange it as follows:

[tex]\beta[/tex] = b/2m (b = damping coefficient)

Then Q = m[tex]\omega[/tex]R/b

when amplitude D is a maximum, we can differenciate wrt [tex]\omega[/tex] to obtain maximum (i.e [tex]\omega[/tex]R)

[tex]\omega[/tex]R = sqrt([tex]\omega[/tex]20 - 2[tex]\beta[/tex]2)

re-arranging yields

Q = m sqrt([tex]\omega[/tex]20 - b2/2m2)/b

I'm kind of stuck because I don't know how to find the coefficient of damping b. Did I go in the wrong direction here? I know I have to use the information given about the pendulum dropping to find the flaw in the system, any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I'm not certain how to solve the problem, the 2 kg mass dropping tells us at what rate energy is added to the pendulum to overcome damping.

Also, the power dissipated due to damping is definitely related to b. If you can express that power in terms of b, you should be in good shape.

Hello,

Based on the information given, you are correct in using equation 1 to calculate the Q of the system. However, in order to use this equation, you will need to find the damping coefficient b. This can be done by using the given information about the pendulum dropping.

First, we can calculate the potential energy gained by the pendulum bob when it falls 0.8 m:

PE = mgh = (0.4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.8 m) = 3.136 J

Since this energy is used to keep the amplitude of the pendulum oscillation steady at 0.03 rad, we can equate it to the kinetic energy of the pendulum bob at its maximum displacement:

KE = (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)(0.4 kg)(v^2)

Where v is the velocity of the pendulum bob at its maximum displacement. We can solve for v:

v = sqrt(6.272/0.4) = 3.95 m/s

Now, we can use this velocity to calculate the damping coefficient b:

b = 2m\omega0 - mv = 2(0.4 kg)(0.03 rad/s) - (0.4 kg)(3.95 m/s) = -0.088 Ns/m

Finally, we can plug in the values of mass, length, and b into equation 1 to calculate the Q of the system:

Q = (0.4 kg)(0.03 rad/s)(0.7 m)/(-0.088 Ns/m) = 0.012

Therefore, the Q of the system is 0.012. This indicates a relatively high level of damping, meaning the pendulum will lose its energy and stop oscillating more quickly compared to a system with a higher Q value.

1. What is the formula for calculating the Q value of a clock's pendulum?

The formula for calculating the Q value of a clock's pendulum is Q = 2π × (energy stored/energy dissipated per oscillation).

2. How do you determine the energy stored in a pendulum with a 0.4 kg bob?

The energy stored in a pendulum with a 0.4 kg bob can be determined by using the formula E = (mgh)/2, where m is the mass of the bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the bob at its highest point.

3. What is the significance of the Q value in clock oscillation?

The Q value in clock oscillation represents the sharpness or precision of the pendulum's swing. A higher Q value indicates a more precise and accurate timekeeping.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect the Q value?

The length of the pendulum has a direct impact on the Q value. A longer pendulum will have a higher Q value, resulting in a more accurate and precise timekeeping.

5. Can the Q value be improved by changing the mass of the pendulum's bob?

Yes, changing the mass of the pendulum's bob can improve the Q value. A heavier bob will have a higher Q value, resulting in a more precise and accurate timekeeping. However, it is important to maintain the correct ratio between the mass of the bob and the length of the pendulum for optimal performance.