Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clocks go back?

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does anyone know when the clocks go back in the United States (specifically Illinois, if that make a difference). Here in the UK, we put them back in about an hour, but it suddenly dawned on me that you lot may not do the same as us! (I presume you do put the clocks back?!)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Nov 4, 2007 - next Sunday - at 0200.

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh, ok. Cheers, Astro!

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'm not looking forward to it, because we use older Win2K OS's well as XP. Actually, XP SP2 was more of a pain in the a$$ to deal with - the adjustments that we supposed to work smoothly - didn't.

Anyway, I get a new box next week as my main office PC is in its death throws with a failing motherboard or RAM chipset. I think the HD's are still OK, but the OS is currently unstable. :grumpy:

6. Oct 27, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We USED to switch this weekend, but some folks in Congress seemed to think we didn't need that extra hour of sleep yet. :grumpy:

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hey, at least it's only one week. I presume you put your clocks forward a week after we did too!

Edit: Hey, PF is clever.. it just changed the time back for me!

8. Oct 27, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, we put them forward way before you did. They extended the entire duration of daylight savings time at both ends this year. :grumpy: I've already been waking up an hour later though...my body is ready for the time to change and doesn't care what the clock says.

9. Oct 27, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn! Its 4:16 or something which makes it 3:16 now. Theres not much point in me having an extra hour of sleep being up at this time. :cry:

10. Oct 27, 2007 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Clocks changed a few hours ago here (uk). Its 3:35 (4:35) here now. Either way i should not be up...

11. Oct 29, 2007 #10
    Not all the US has daylight savings time. Some places do not move their clocks back at all, while others do.

I used to live in Arizona. I had no idea the Navajo followed daylight savings. How confusing must that have been?

12. Oct 29, 2007 #11
    I'm from AZ. No clock changing here!

13. Oct 29, 2007 #12
    Clocks here (New Zealand) were set back nearly a month ago now. South Africa doesn't put their clocks back... its so confusing... :eek:

14. Oct 29, 2007 #13
    I was in the lab today one hour longer since all the machines changed the clocks one hour backwards. Canada is also changing its clock on Nov 4 now (at least in Toronto)

15. Oct 29, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You set the clocks back this time of year too? Isn't that a bit counterintuitive considering you're in the Southern hemisphere? Shouldn't you folks be switching your clocks the other way now? :confused:

16. Oct 29, 2007 #15
    You have no idea.... The Hopis that have their nation in the middle of the Navajo Nation follow Arizona time so in the course of an hour (driving from the North) one can go from Daylight Time to Standard Time to Daylight Time to Standard Time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?