Find Matrix A for 135° Clockwise Rotation in R^2

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, to find the matrix A for the linear transformation T from R^2 to R^2 that rotates any vector through an angle of 135^o in the clockwise direction, you can use the idea of finding the rotation for 90 degrees and apply it to 135 degrees. This can be done by looking at what T(1,0) and T(0,1) are, which represent the first and second columns of A, respectively. These can be found using trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to draw a picture to visualize the rotation.
UrbanXrisis
Find the matrix A of the linear transformation T from [tex]R^2[/tex] to [tex]R^2[/tex] that rotates any vector through an angle of [tex]135^o[/tex] in the clockwise direction.

my book does not talk about how to answer this question. I've seen a change in 90 degrees, but I don't know how to do a 135 degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the idea how to do it 90 degrees, the same idea applies.

I guessed on how to get the 90 degree one, since it was mulitple choice. so i don't actually know the process, could someone explain it to me?

You can look at what the transformation does to the standard basis, what is T(1,0) and T(0,1)? These determine the 1st and 2nd columns of A respectively and can be found using a little trig. More generally you can find a rotation by any angle this way.

how can this be found with trig? i don't even know how linear transformations have to do with rotations, not sure at all what is going on because this homework questions came out of the blue

I mean you can find T(1,0) and T(0,1) in terms of sin's and cos's of your angle. Can you find T(1,0) and T(0,1)? Drawing a picture will help.

A rotation about the origin is a linear transformation.

so T(1,0) represents sin(90) and T(0,1) = cos(90)?

UrbanXrisis said:
so T(1,0) represents sin(90) and T(0,1) = cos(90)?

No, T(1,0) is a vector. Did you draw a picture? Start with the vector (1,0). Rotate it 135 degrees clockwise. What quadrant is it in? What angle does it make with the x-axis? What are it's new coordinates?

it's in the thrid quadrant. it makes a 45 degree angle with the x axis. so the x is [tex]-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] which would be the same for the y

Right, so that's the first column of the matrix for T. The second column is T(0,1), which you can find the same way.

1. What is the formula for a 135° clockwise rotation in R^2?

The formula for a 135° clockwise rotation in R^2 is:
A = [cos(135°) -sin(135°)]
[sin(135°) cos(135°)]

2. How do I represent a 135° clockwise rotation in a 2x2 matrix?

A 135° clockwise rotation in a 2x2 matrix can be represented by the following matrix:
A = [0 -1]
[1 0]

3. How do I apply a 135° clockwise rotation to a point in R^2?

To apply a 135° clockwise rotation to a point (x,y) in R^2, you can multiply the point by the rotation matrix A. The resulting point will be the coordinates of the rotated point (x',y').
(x',y') = A*[x,y] = [0 -1] * [x] = [-y]
[1 0] [y] [x]

4. Can I use a different angle for the clockwise rotation?

Yes, you can use a different angle for the clockwise rotation. The general formula for a clockwise rotation in R^2 is:
A = [cos(θ) -sin(θ)]
[sin(θ) cos(θ)]
Where θ is the angle of rotation in degrees.

5. Can I use this formula to rotate objects in 3D space?

No, this formula is specific for rotating points in 2D space. To rotate objects in 3D space, you would need to use a different formula and a 3x3 rotation matrix.