Can We Create New Organisms by Combining DNA from Multiple Sources?

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cloning
In summary, it is possible to create a specimen using the DNA of multiple organisms, as demonstrated by the practice of biohacking. This is typically done by inserting desired genes into the organism's genome using hijacked viruses. However, adding extra chromosomes to animals may result in non-viable organisms, making it more successful in plants.
roam
Hi guys,

Biology is not my field but I was just wondering if it is possible to create a specimen using the DNA of more than two other different specimens of the same kind? I am not sure whether the techniques needed to create such a specimen is beyond our science today or not, but I've heard that this will cause the resulting specimen to have extra chromosomes. And this will affect its health. Is that true?

I would greatly appreciate some explanation or perhaps some links.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
We are at the technological level now where you can (with a decent, but not too absurd, amount of cash) set up a lab in your garage, do some research on the internet, and splice genes from phosphorescent algae into some other organism and make it glow. No kidding. So yes, you can insert genes from one organism into another, typically this is done by hijacked viruses that insert the desired genes into the genome of the organism. The result is not an extra chromosome, unless you set up the gene insertion that way, and if you start adding new chromosomes to animals you're likely to get a non viable organism, you'd have much more luck doing that to plants.

For more info, I'd recommend looking up "Biohacking".

1. What is cloning and how does it work?

Cloning is the process of creating an identical copy of an organism or a specific gene. It involves taking genetic material from a donor cell and inserting it into an egg cell from which the nucleus has been removed. The egg cell is then stimulated to divide and develop into an embryo, which is then implanted into a surrogate mother.

2. What are the ethical concerns surrounding cloning?

Cloning raises ethical concerns because it involves manipulating the genetic makeup of living organisms. Some people argue that it goes against the natural order of reproduction and could lead to the exploitation of animals. There are also concerns about the potential for human cloning and the implications it could have on our society.

3. How are chromosomes involved in cloning?

Chromosomes are essential for cloning because they contain the genetic information that determines the characteristics of an organism. When a cell is cloned, its chromosomes are replicated and passed on to the new organism. This allows for the identical copy of the original organism to be created.

4. Can cloning be used for medical purposes?

Yes, cloning has the potential to be used for medical purposes such as creating copies of organs or tissues for transplant. It could also be used to create genetically identical animals for medical research and drug testing.

5. What are the limitations of cloning?

There are several limitations to cloning, including low success rates, genetic abnormalities in the cloned organisms, and ethical concerns. Additionally, cloning is a complex and expensive process, making it inaccessible for widespread use. There are also concerns about the long-term effects of cloning on the genetic diversity of a species.