Clone Non-Orthogonal Quantum States - Violate No-Cloning Theorem

In summary, the analyzer cannot tell the difference between a particle that was prepared in psi state and a particle that was prepared in phi state.
Dragonfall
Suppose you had a divide which, upon input of one of two non-orthogonal quantum states [tex]\left|\psi\right>[/tex] or [tex]\left|\phi\right>[/tex] correctly identified the state. How could you use this device to clone these states (in violation of the no-cloning theorem)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by "identify".
Usually the state is coupled to another system, say, [tex]\left|\rho\right\rangle_\mathrm{copy}[/tex] which then gets changed through some interaction to reflect the original state. If you destroy the original state but still want two identical copies, you'll need a third system, but the details are the same.

The way you phrased the question, you could use a polarizer to correctly identify which orthogonal state a photon was in (assuming you restrict your photons to either state). Of course, you can't make a cloning device out of this.

I quoted the question exactly. I guess by "identify" he means "outputs 1 or 0" depending on the input. Which means that it can't take an arbitrary input.

Ok, then depends what you mean by "output".

I know I sound pedantic but it's for a reason. One can spend forever looking for an answer to an ill-posed question.

However, I misread the question about the states being non-orthogonal. I will ponder.

Ok so the simple answer is that, if you've somehow evaded the no-cloning theorem, your device will say either [tex]\psi[/tex] or [tex]\phi[/tex]. Then it's in the domain of state preparation to clone the state. If you "know" the exact state, then you can create as many copies of it that you like. It just depends on what you're measuring.

For instance, if the two states are photons polarized at [tex]30^\circ[/tex] and [tex]45^\circ[/tex], then simply produce more photons and align your polarizers in one of those two orientations.

But if you "know" the state, it's trivial!

I think the unwritten part of the question goes like this: a bunch of particles are randomly prepared as either psi or phi. psi and phi are not orthogonal states. they are sent to an analyzer. explain why the analyzer can't tell which paticle was prepared in what state (even given that the analyzer posesses knowledge of the set of preparation states). Feel free to beat me if I am wrong.

1. What is the No-Cloning Theorem?

The No-Cloning Theorem is a principle in quantum mechanics that states it is impossible to create an identical copy of an unknown quantum state. This means that it is not possible to clone a quantum state without destroying the original state.

2. How does cloning non-orthogonal quantum states violate the No-Cloning Theorem?

In quantum mechanics, non-orthogonal quantum states are states that are not perfectly distinguishable from each other. Cloning these states would require creating an exact copy, which is not possible according to the No-Cloning Theorem. It would also violate the principle of superposition, which states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. Why is cloning quantum states important?

Cloning quantum states is important in the field of quantum computing, as it would allow for the creation of copies of qubits (quantum bits) for use in various quantum algorithms. However, the No-Cloning Theorem shows that this is not possible and therefore, alternative methods must be used in quantum computing.

4. Are there any exceptions to the No-Cloning Theorem?

There are a few exceptions to the No-Cloning Theorem, such as when the quantum states are known or when the states are orthogonal (perfectly distinguishable). In these cases, cloning may be possible, but it is still limited by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

5. How does the No-Cloning Theorem impact the security of quantum cryptography?

The No-Cloning Theorem has a significant impact on the security of quantum cryptography. It guarantees that quantum information cannot be copied without detection, making it difficult for an eavesdropper to intercept and decode quantum communication without being detected. This allows for the secure transfer of information between two parties without the risk of interception or tampering.