Cloning: Aging Symptoms at 70?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cloning
In summary: Was Dolly Already 'Old' at Birth?The first wave of increased press coverage occurred when, at one year old, tests revealed that Dolly's telomeres were shorter than those expected for sheep of that age. This was later shown to be untrue and in fact the telomere length is restored during the cloning process.
Jarfi
If I were to clone myself at the age of 70, would the child even though physically in the stages of childhood, have similar deterioration and symptoms of aging as me?

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe - aging is a matter of lifestyle as well as genetics.

Jarfi said:
If I were to clone myself at the age of 70, would the child even though physically in the stages of childhood, have similar deterioration and symptoms of aging as me?

Depending on the tissue that is taken, there could be a risk of mutations that have been introduced (such as skin exposed to the sun), but a cloned young animal wouldn't have similar signs of aging as the old donor.

Monique said:
Depending on the tissue that is taken, there could be a risk of mutations that have been introduced (such as skin exposed to the sun), but a cloned young animal wouldn't have similar signs of aging as the old donor.

I thought Dolly had problems because of short telomeres? Or was it just a media hype?

Borek said:
I thought Dolly had problems because of short telomeres? Or was it just a media hype?

The telomeres were reduced in length compared to age-matched sheep, but they were not as short as the donor. Subsequent studies have shown that telomere length is reset in other cloning efforts: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/288/5466/586.long

Or just check the Roslin institute:
Was Dolly Already 'Old' at Birth?

The first wave of increased press coverage occurred when, at one year old, tests revealed that Dolly's telomeres were shorter than those expected for sheep of that age.

Telomeres are sections of DNA found at the end of each chromosome. When the chromosomes are replicated during cell division a small portion of the telomeres are lost. They get shorter and shorter as more cell divisions occur and as animals age. This led to speculation in the press that animals cloned from cells obtained from an adult animal would age prematurely and die early. This was later shown to be untrue and in fact the telomere length is restored during the cloning process.

Although Dolly's telomeres appeared shorter than other sheep of a similar age they certainly were not of an old animal. Extensive health screens carried out at the time failed to identify any abnormality with Dolly that would suggest premature aging.

source: http://www.roslin.ed.ac.uk/public-interest/dolly-the-sheep/a-life-of-dolly/

1. What is cloning?

Cloning is the process of creating an identical copy of an organism or a cell through asexual reproduction.

2. Can cloning reverse aging symptoms at 70?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that cloning can reverse aging symptoms at any age. Cloning primarily creates an identical genetic copy of an organism, but it does not affect the aging process.

3. Can cloned organisms live longer than their original counterparts?

There is no significant difference in the lifespan of a cloned organism compared to its original counterpart. However, environmental factors and lifestyle choices can greatly impact the lifespan of an organism.

4. Is cloning ethical?

The ethics of cloning are a highly debated topic. Some argue that it is a violation of natural reproduction and creates ethical concerns for the cloned organism. Others argue that it can have beneficial applications in medical and scientific research. Ultimately, the ethics of cloning depend on personal beliefs and values.

5. What are the potential risks of cloning for aging symptoms?

Since cloning does not reverse or slow down the aging process, there are no specific risks related to aging symptoms. However, there may be potential risks and complications associated with the cloning process itself, such as genetic abnormalities or health issues in the cloned organism.