Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Close space after big bang

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hi
    We know that our universe is closed and that outside of our universeis no space, neither empty space. So, space is only where matter is. There are also other arguments that space is always connected with matter.
    What are the main arguments that space does not exist outside our universe as connected with bing-bang and general relativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2
    We don't know that the universe is closed at all. The data ar consistent with the universe being either open, flat, or closed.

The universe is all of spacetime. The phrase "outside of the universe" does not refer to any place or event in spacetime, and so your question is a nonsense question. I could ask you to tell me what color the grass is north of the north pole, and it would make just as much sense.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Let us assume that space is closed.
    I believe you about grass on north poll. I believe in this theory.
    But I think that these theories have some deeper arguments than this one. So I ask for these arguments?

Additional conclusion is also, where is no matter is no space. So this is an interesting question for me.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Have you ever heard of a vacuum? I understand what you're trying to characterize with a statement like this, but it's simply not true. ZikZak's statement that "The universe is all of spacetime" is much better, and you should think of the universe as being defined to be all that is. Of course, this precludes multiverse theories, but it's certainly a good enough starting point for a discussion.

In this framework, the main argument for no spacetime outside our universe were if there existed such spacetime, it would [by definition] be in our universe. That's not very satisfying but if you think about it for a while it might start to make a little bit more sense to you. Another argument which applies much more generally is that we have no evidence to support the fact that there is anything else [other than the space we know]. Why assume the existence of something when we don't have to? Here's an interesting quote which is somewhat related but jumps into my head, from Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time":

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    I will ask a little differently. Is it possible to put curved 4D space-time in 4D flat space -time?

For instance, let us assume that light travel at infinite speed (or much larger speed). This means that its path is not curved, when it travels close to the sun. Of course, so the definition of time becomes elusive (but let us ignore this). So, is it possible in this case to prolong space out of our universe?

Is it possible to put a black hole in a flat space time, but to say that observer inside or close to the black hole feel different times dilatations and different distances than before, and those are connected with labels in space time before black hole originated in this space-time.

Othewise, this question about general relativity is unclear to me. This is only a question for imagination of general relativity, not for changing it.

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6
    If you are after facts, this thread wont get you anywhere...

If you don't have access to a subscribed encyclopedia try wikipedia, as its almost as good..

Cheers,

Pete..

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This makes no sense.

Infinite is silly. Even if much larger, the fact that it curves verfy little doesn't mean space-time is less curved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook