Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Closed and exact forms

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    let [tex] f:U \rightarrow R^n [/tex] be a differentiable function with a differentiable inverse [tex] f^{-1}: f(u) \rightarrow R^n [/tex]. if every closed form on U is exact, show that the same is true for f(U).

Hint: if dw=0 and [tex]f^{\star}w = d\eta, [/tex] consider [tex](f^{-1})^{\star}\eta. [/tex]
    ---------------------------------------------------

I'm not quite sure what the hint means or how to use it. is it true that [tex]f^{\star} [/tex] is basically another way of writing a differential - eg. df? I didn't really get a clear definition of it in my text.

anyway here's my thoughts so far:

consider [tex]w[/tex] as a form on U. suppose [tex]w[/tex] is closed. then dw = 0. since every closed form on U is exact, then there exists a [tex] \eta [/tex] on U such that [tex]w = d\eta [/tex].

but how is it that [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex] (given in the hint)? like, how is this relationship derived? if [tex]w = d\eta [/tex] and also [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex], then we have [tex]w = f^{\star}w [/tex]? I find that really confusing, and I'm not sure how to continue the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm rusty on this stuff, but if w is a form on f(U), then w' = (f-1)*w is a form on U. Show that if w is closed, then so is w'. If w' is closed, then there is some h' such that w' = dh'. Try to use this to show that w is also exact. Perhaps you will find that w = d(f*h') or something like that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook