1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed and exact forms

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    let [tex] f:U \rightarrow R^n [/tex] be a differentiable function with a differentiable inverse [tex] f^{-1}: f(u) \rightarrow R^n [/tex]. if every closed form on U is exact, show that the same is true for f(U).

Hint: if dw=0 and [tex]f^{\star}w = d\eta, [/tex] consider [tex](f^{-1})^{\star}\eta. [/tex]

I'm not quite sure what the hint means or how to use it. is it true that [tex]f^{\star} [/tex] is basically another way of writing a differential - eg. df? I didn't really get a clear definition of it in my text.

anyway here's my thoughts so far:

consider [tex]w[/tex] as a form on U. suppose [tex]w[/tex] is closed. then dw = 0. since every closed form on U is exact, then there exists a [tex] \eta [/tex] on U such that [tex]w = d\eta [/tex].

but how is it that [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex] (given in the hint)? like, how is this relationship derived? if [tex]w = d\eta [/tex] and also [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex], then we have [tex]w = f^{\star}w [/tex]? I find that really confusing, and I'm not sure how to continue the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm rusty on this stuff, but if w is a form on f(U), then w' = (f-1)*w is a form on U. Show that if w is closed, then so is w'. If w' is closed, then there is some h' such that w' = dh'. Try to use this to show that w is also exact. Perhaps you will find that w = d(f*h') or something like that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?