1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed and Open Sets in R^d

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    This is the question:
    Let A be an open set and B a closed set. If B ⊂ A, prove that A \ B is
    open. If A ⊂ B, prove that B \ A is closed.

Right before this we have a theorem stated as below:
    In R^d,
    (a) the union of an arbitrary collection of open sets is open;
    (b) the intersection of any finite collection of open sets is open;
    (c) the intersection of an arbitrary collection of closed sets is closed;
    (d) the union of any finite collection of closed sets is closed.

So in each case, I think we can just say A\B=A∩B^c (B^c means B complement), and since both A and B^c are open (by assumption and then by definition of a closed set where if B is closed, B-complement is open) we use part (b) of the previous theorem, A\B is open. But in this proof, I didn't use the assumption that B⊂A, so I know it isn't right. Same goes for the second part of the question. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By what logic do you "know it isn't right"? Pehaps this particular part does NOT depend on B being a subset of A. For example, if A and B were disjoint, A\B= A which is, just as your proof would assert, open. The fact is that, if A is open and B is closed, the A\B is open and B\A is closed, whether A is a subset of B or B is a subset of A or not.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    Ah, I see. Thanks, this makes a lot of sense now! I guess all I was thinking is that if in the question they indicated the "if"s I've got to be doing something wrong! hah! Thanks a lot for your help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook