Is X a Metric Space? Closed and Open Sets

In summary, in point set topology, a closed set is defined as a set that includes all of its boundary points. The empty set and the entire space are both closed and open. A set is open if it is a neighborhood of each of its points, and a set is closed if its complement is open. Based on these definitions, we can determine that the sets {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4}, {(x,y):x^2+y^2<=4}, and {(x,y):x^2+y^2=4} are all closed sets.
yifli
Assume X is a metric space, then X and the empty set are both closed and open,
am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yifli, :smile:

That is indeed correct!

In general point set topology the fact that the topology (the collection of open sets) contains both the empty set and the entire space is part of the definition.

How do we define closed sets?

A closed set is one that includes all its boundary points,is this definition right?

which of the following are closed sets?

a){(x,y): x^2+y^2 >=4}
b){(x,y):x^2+y^2<=4}
c){(x,y):x^2+y^2=4}

gliteringstar said:
How do we define closed sets?

A closed set is one that includes all its boundary points,is this definition right?

Correct.

which of the following are closed sets?

a){(x,y): x^2+y^2 >=4}
b){(x,y):x^2+y^2<=4}

So, what do you think??

a) {(x,y):x^2+y^2>=4}

x^2+y^2= 4 is equation of a circle in 2-dimensional space, with radius 2 and centre at (0,0)

the set given above shall include all points on the circle and beyond (extending to infinity);if i take a boundary point say,

(2,0) from this set,then this should be part of the set and it is.So can we say it is a closed set?

b) {(x,y):x^2+y^2<=4}

the set given above shall include all points on the circle and inside;if i take a boundary point say ,again, (0,2) from this set,then this should be part of the set and it is.So can we say it is a closed set?

the set given above shall include only the points on the circle;there isn't a boundary as such

what do we do in this case?

A set is open if it is a neighbourhood of each of its points.Is this similar to saying that a set is open

if it contains all of its interior points?If yes,then can we proceed in the following way:

the set {(x,y): x^2+y^2>4} is in R^2

If i take a point ,say (q,s) which lies very close to the boundary point (0,2),then a

circle(neighbourhood of the point,subset of the original set) with this point as centre should also

lie entirely within the set.

But i couldn't get one thing -size of circle with (q,s) as centre is determined by what?In other words, what radius should we choose of this circle, since it will depend upon the size of this circle whether it is lying entirely in the bigger circle,that is, our original set or not( am i going in the right direction?)

If this proves our set to be open then according to definiton of closed set-complement of an open set is closed
{(x,y): x^2+y^2<=4} is complement of {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4},so if {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4} is an open set (according to procedure followed above),then {(x,y): x^2+y^2<=4} is a closed set.

I don't know whether my reasoning is right.Someone please guide.

An open set is a set which is neighbourhood of all its points

a) {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4} is an open set because it is neighbourhood of all its points

A closed set is a set if its complement is an open set

b){(x,y):x^2+y^2<=4}is a closed set because its complement {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4} is an open set.

c){(x,y): x^2+y^2<4} is an open set because it is neighbourhood of all its points.

d){(x,y):x^2+y^2>=4} is a closed set because its complement {(x,y): x^2+y^2<4} is an open set

e){(x,y): x^2+y^2=4} is a closed set because complement of this set
includes points represented by the sets {(x,y):x^2+y^2>4} and {(x,y):x^2+y^2<4} is an open set.

Is my reasoning right?

for set : {(x,y): x^2+y^2=4} ,the complement is given by union of two open sets
{{(x,y):x^2+y^2>4}union {(x,y):x^2+y^2<4}} which is an open set as per the definiton hence, {(x,y): x^2+y^2=4} is a closed set!

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects, where the distance between any two objects in the set is well-defined. It is defined by a function, called a metric, which assigns a non-negative real number to each pair of objects in the set. This distance function must satisfy certain properties, such as being symmetric, non-negative, and satisfying the triangle inequality.

2. What is the difference between a closed set and an open set?

In a metric space, a closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points, while an open set does not contain any of its limit points. In other words, a closed set includes its boundary points, while an open set does not include its boundary points.

3. How do you determine if a set is closed or open in a metric space?

A set is closed in a metric space if it contains all of its limit points. One way to determine this is by looking at the complement of the set. If the complement is open, then the original set is closed. Similarly, a set is open if its complement is closed.

4. What are some examples of metric spaces?

Some examples of metric spaces include Euclidean space, which is the familiar three-dimensional space we live in, as well as spaces defined by other types of distance functions, such as the taxicab metric or the discrete metric. Metric spaces can also be defined on more abstract sets, such as sets of functions or matrices.

5. How are metric spaces used in science?

Metric spaces are used in various branches of science, including physics, biology, and computer science. In physics, they are used to describe the distances between objects in space and to model physical phenomena. In biology, they are used to study evolutionary relationships between species. In computer science, they are used in algorithms for data analysis and optimization problems.