1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed and open subsets

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    1. {(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex] R^2 such that 2x+y<=2, x-y>4} Determine whether this subset of R^2 is open, closed or neither open nor closed.

2. I think this is an open subset but not sure how to prove it. I have rearranged the equations to give x>2, y<=-2x+1, y< x-1. I think it is open because x can get closer and closer to 2 but never equal it and y can get closer and closer to x-1 but never equal it. I'm not sure how prove this mathematically though?

Any help or hints would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

First things first. Draw what your set looks like by re-arranging your equations a bit. This will allow you to see whether or not your set is open.

Remember a set is open if every point is an interior point, that is for any point you choose, every neighborhood around it contains points only from the set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook