1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed classical string loop

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    Has anyone ever seen the treatment of a closed classical string loop. Like if you had a loop of string on the space shuttle and subject it to accoustic driving or initial impulses. I post this here in beyond the standard model because no one in the classical physics section seems to have heard of it. i thought maybe a string theory person might have.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure the general case is way too complicated to be treated analytically, since you can get things like knots going on. Some special cases are certainly doable. For instance, if it's rotating, then you get a circular equilibrium shape, and small perturbations will propagate as clockwise and counterclockwise waves.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    I think that "closed classical string loop" is the same object as the "cosmic string loop" in cosmology. You may want to read the textbook, "Cosmic strings and the other topological defects", (chapter 6~12)

http://books.google.com/books?id=eW...0CDcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Cosmic string&f=false

where you can find the treatment about the classical motion of a closed string loop in gravitational field, the mode expansion of a closed loop and the structure on a closed string loop (cusps, kinks...).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook