1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed curve on R^3

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1

Dox

Hello.

In a certain problem I'm interested on, I need to write a general form of the parametrization of a closed curve on [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex].

I thought in parametrize it using a kind of Fourier series. Could it be possible?

Thing become even worse 'cause I'd like to the curve doesn't cross itself.

Every idea is welcome.

Best wishes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would it not be sufficient to say that such a curve is a function [itex]r(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t))[/itex], [itex]t\in [0,1][/itex] such that r(t1)=r(t2) iff r1=0, r2=1.

4. Jun 5, 2007 #3

Dox

Thanks for your answer Quasar987, but that exactly the point. In order to satisfy the boundary condition I must expand in Fourier series, Isn't it?

Thank you very much.

5. Jun 5, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what you mean.

Why do you consider the answer I wrote incomplete/inadequate?

6. Jun 5, 2007 #5

Dox

I mean:

The condition is [tex]r(0)=r(1)[/tex].

In general a function satisfying that condition could be expand as a Fourier series, Isn't it? Because sine and cosine are periodic functions.

7. Jun 5, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the function is not too wild, yes. But again, what does this have to do with the problem? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?