1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed form for a sequence

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ʃ 1\(n^2-1) from n=2 to k. It says find a closed for it and prove it using sum notation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can easily prove it by induction but I don't know what a closed form means. I tried looking it up online but there really isn't much info and nothing is stated in my textbook about. All I know is the sequence when expanded looks like

1/3+1/8+1/15+1/24+...+1/n^2-1. Then not sure how to put it in closed form?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Closed form means find a formula for the sum of series without writing out each term. Try to express 1/(n^2-1) in the form A/(n+1)+B/(n-1). Find A and B. Like partial fractions. Then start writing out terms of that and think about it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    This is what I get[tex] \left( \sum_{n=0}^k\frac{1}{-2(n+1)}+\frac{1}{2(n-1)} \right)=\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{8}+...+\frac{1}{-2(k+1)}+(\frac{1}{2(k-1)})[/tex]. From here im not sure how to get a closed sum.

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! It's (1/2)*(1/(n-1)-1/(n+1)). Start the sum at n=2 like your original problem posed and bring the (1/2) outside. The series then goes like 1/1-1/3+1/2-1/4+1/3-1/5+1/4-1/6+1/5-1/7... Don't you see a lot of cancellations in there?

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5
    Yes but all I'm left is 1+1\2?

7. Jan 30, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are doing an infinite sum, yes. But if you dealing with the finite sum 2...k you also have some stuff that won't cancel at the k end of the sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook