What is a Closed Form for the Sequence?

In summary, the problem asks to find a closed form for the series Ʃ 1/(n^2-1) from n=2 to k and prove it using sum notation. A closed form means finding a formula for the sum without writing out each term. By expressing 1/(n^2-1) in the form A/(n+1)+B/(n-1), and bringing the (1/2) outside, the series can be simplified to 1/1-1/3+1/2-1/4+1/3-1/5+1/4-1/6+1/5-1/7... with many cancellations. However, when dealing with a
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Let Ʃ 1\(n^2-1) from n=2 to k. It says find a closed for it and prove it using sum notation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily prove it by induction but I don't know what a closed form means. I tried looking it up online but there really isn't much info and nothing is stated in my textbook about. All I know is the sequence when expanded looks like

1/3+1/8+1/15+1/24+...+1/n^2-1. Then not sure how to put it in closed form?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:

Homework Statement

Let Ʃ 1\(n^2-1) from n=2 to k. It says find a closed for it and prove it using sum notation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily prove it by induction but I don't know what a closed form means. I tried looking it up online but there really isn't much info and nothing is stated in my textbook about. All I know is the sequence when expanded looks like

1/3+1/8+1/15+1/24+...+1/n^2-1. Then not sure how to put it in closed form?

Closed form means find a formula for the sum of series without writing out each term. Try to express 1/(n^2-1) in the form A/(n+1)+B/(n-1). Find A and B. Like partial fractions. Then start writing out terms of that and think about it.

Last edited:
This is what I get[tex] \left( \sum_{n=0}^k\frac{1}{-2(n+1)}+\frac{1}{2(n-1)} \right)=\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{8}+...+\frac{1}{-2(k+1)}+(\frac{1}{2(k-1)})[/tex]. From here I am not sure how to get a closed sum.

bonfire09 said:
This is what I get[tex] \left( \sum_{n=0}^k\frac{1}{-2(n+1)}+\frac{1}{2(n-1)} \right)=\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{8}+...+\frac{1}{-2(k+1)}+(\frac{1}{2(k-1)})[/tex]. From here I am not sure how to get a closed sum.

Yes! It's (1/2)*(1/(n-1)-1/(n+1)). Start the sum at n=2 like your original problem posed and bring the (1/2) outside. The series then goes like 1/1-1/3+1/2-1/4+1/3-1/5+1/4-1/6+1/5-1/7... Don't you see a lot of cancellations in there?

Yes but all I'm left is 1+1\2?

bonfire09 said:
Yes but all I'm left is 1+1\2?

If you are doing an infinite sum, yes. But if you dealing with the finite sum 2...k you also have some stuff that won't cancel at the k end of the sum.

What is a closed form for a sequence?

A closed form for a sequence is a mathematical expression that can be used to find any term in a sequence without having to calculate all the previous terms. It is also known as an explicit formula or an explicit definition.

How is a closed form different from a recursive formula?

A recursive formula defines each term in a sequence in terms of the previous terms, while a closed form expresses each term in a sequence as a function of the term number. This means that a closed form can be used to find any term in a sequence without having to know the previous terms.

What are the advantages of using a closed form for a sequence?

Using a closed form for a sequence can save time and effort in calculating each term individually. It also allows for easier analysis and understanding of the sequence, as well as the ability to make predictions about future terms.

Can any sequence have a closed form?

Not all sequences have a closed form. Some sequences are too complex or do not follow a specific pattern that can be expressed in a simple formula. In these cases, a recursive formula or another method may be used instead.

How do you find a closed form for a sequence?

To find a closed form for a sequence, you can start by looking for patterns in the sequence and then try to express those patterns in a mathematical formula. You can also use techniques such as finite differences or generating functions to help find a closed form for a sequence.