Solved: Closed Form Solution for SIGMA e^(i/n)

• Thread starter Dissonance in E
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Form
Just remember that a geometric series has the form of a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1, and plug in your values for a and r to find the closed form value.In summary, the problem is asking for the closed form value of the summation of e^(i/n) from i=0 to n. The solution involves recognizing the series as a geometric series and using the formula a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1 to find the closed form value.
Dissonance in E

Homework Statement

Find the closed form value for

n
SIGMA e^(i/n)
i= 0

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

summation expands to
1 + e^(1/n) + e^(2/n) - - - - - e^1

To be honest i have no clue how to go about these kinds of problems so a general help would be nice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing [tex]e^\frac{1}{n} = x, e^\frac{i}{n} = x^i [/tex], and see where that leads you.

Dissonance in E said:

Homework Statement

Find the closed form value for

n
SIGMA e^(i/n)
i= 0

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

summation expands to
1 + e^(1/n) + e^(2/n) - - - - - e^1

To be honest i have no clue how to go about these kinds of problems so a general help would be nice.

Thanks

Might this be a geometric series?

Looks like it to me!

What is a closed form solution?

A closed form solution is a mathematical expression that can be written using a finite number of standard operations and mathematical functions. It is a solution that can be explicitly written out, rather than requiring iterative or numerical methods to solve.

What is SIGMA?

SIGMA is a symbol used in mathematics to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is often used in conjunction with an index or variable to indicate that the terms in the series are being added together.

What does e^(i/n) represent in the context of this problem?

In this context, e^(i/n) represents a complex number with a modulus of 1 and an argument of 1/n. This number is often used in mathematical equations involving trigonometric functions and is commonly referred to as a unit circle.

What does the closed form solution for SIGMA e^(i/n) represent?

The closed form solution for SIGMA e^(i/n) represents the sum of a series of complex numbers, each with a modulus of 1 and an argument of 1/n. This solution can be used to simplify or solve complex mathematical equations involving sums of these types of terms.

What are some applications of closed form solutions for SIGMA e^(i/n)?

Closed form solutions for SIGMA e^(i/n) have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used in Fourier analysis, signal processing, and in the study of periodic functions. They are also commonly used in the development of algorithms and computer programming, as they allow for efficient and accurate calculations.