Closed forms of series / sums

In summary, the sum of integers from 1 to n can be derived using a simple arithmetic formula of n(n+1)/2. This can be established using mathematical induction. There are resources available, such as mensanator.com, that offer common sums and their closed forms.
atrus_ovis
Hello, i just came accros:

Sum(i) , from i=1 to i=n
which apparently equals n(n+1)/2

-Is there a way to derive this from the sum, or you just have to use your intuition and think through what exactly is being summed and the range of summation?
-Do you have any resources to offer, that includes all the common sums and its closed forms?

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very elementary proof: Let S=sum,

S = 1 + 2 + ... + n
S = n + (n-1) + ... + 1
2S = (n+1) + (n+1) + ... + (n+1) {n terms} = n(n+1)

Damn... that was way too trivial, i feel worthless =P

atrus_ovis said:

Sum(i) , from i=1 to i=n

-Is there a way to derive this from the sum, or you just have to use your intuition and think through what exactly is being summed and the range of summation?
-Do you have any resources to offer, that includes all the common sums and its closed forms?

Thanks in advance

Check out the very interesting paper: www.math.uic.edu/~kauffman/DCalc.pdf
This gives some tools to derive closed-form formula's of some nice sums. And these tools are based on the normal tools of calculus.

I think these kinds of formulas are conjectured (guessed) using a clever trick or by noticing a pattern, and then formally established using mathematical induction. In the particular example of the sum of the first n integers, take n = 10:

We want the sum 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10. Notice that 11 = 1 + 10 = 2 + 9 = 3 + 8, etc. and so we've added 11 5 = 10/2 times. The conjecture is that the sum is 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 = 5(11) = (10/2)(11). Perhaps this holds for all n: one of n or n + 1 is even since they are adjacent integers, so n(n + 1) is always divisible by two; so n(n + 1)/2 is an integer. Makes sense that the sum of the first n integers is ... We guess that 1 + 2 + ... + n = n(n + 1)/2 and establish this by induction.

This kind of guess-work is useful for a simple, intuitive arithmetic formula like this one, but probably not for more complicated expressions/conjectures.

micromass said:
Check out the very interesting paper: www.math.uic.edu/~kauffman/DCalc.pdf
This gives some tools to derive closed-form formula's of some nice sums. And these tools are based on the normal tools of calculus.

That is so awesome. Even as a PM major taking courses like RA, I find discrete math so beautiful -- so graph theory and combinatorics really interests me (but the combinatorics program at my school is too computer-y for me D:). It's so cool to see the methods of calculus used in a discrete setting.

Last edited:
atrus_ovis said:

Sum(i) , from i=1 to i=n

Thanks in advance

Goto mensanator.com, click on The Joy of Six, then click on "What Is The Sum of Integers".

1. What is a closed form of a series?

A closed form of a series is a mathematical expression that can be written using a finite number of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation, without the use of infinite operations, such as summation or integration.

2. How is a closed form of a series different from an infinite series?

A closed form of a series provides a finite expression for the sum of an infinite series, making it easier to calculate and understand. In contrast, an infinite series requires an infinite number of terms to be added together, making it impossible to calculate the exact sum.

3. What are some common closed forms of series?

Some common closed forms of series include geometric series, arithmetic series, and binomial series. These can be used to calculate the sum of specific types of series, such as adding a constant value or multiplying by a common ratio.

4. How can closed forms of series be used in real-world applications?

Closed forms of series can be used to model and solve various problems in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with changing velocity, or to determine the future value of an investment with compound interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using closed forms of series?

While closed forms of series provide a convenient way to calculate the sum of an infinite series, they are not always possible to find. Some series may not have a closed form, or the closed form may be too complex to be useful. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to calculate the sum.