Closed integral in electromagnetics

In summary, the conversation is about the use of Gauss's Law in a mathematical equation. The question arises whether the equation is a result of a mathematical manipulation or a law. The symbols used in the equation are explained, with Dr being the radial component and a constant if the D field is spherically symmetric. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the notes are not clear and gratitude for the explanation.
tidesong
Well I'm studying this under engineering but its also maths so I posted this here and hope its in the right forum

The question is: When using Gauss's Law i have this equation in my notes: total charge enclosed by surface = closed integral of ( D .ds) over S

the next line (in my notes) equates this to Dr( closed integral of dS over S)

Is this a mathematical manipulation, or is this due to some law? And is Dr just a constant or does it have some meaning? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you tell me what any of the symbols are supposed to mean? I could try to guess..

You have the integral,

integral D.dS

If the surface S is a sphere, the normal area vector dS is radial, so D.dS is Dr, i.e. the radial component of the D vector. So you can reduce it to,

integral Dr dS

If you also assume that the D field is spherically symmetric, then the value of D (and hence Dr) is constant over the surface of a sphere (since it is at a fixed radius); you can then pull it out of the integral,

Dr integral dS

The integral of the area element is just the area of the sphere, so you obtain

Dr 4πr2

Ah thanks! If Dr is the radial component then it makes sense! I'm trying to guess what my notes mean too :P

Yeah! Our notes are so lousy! Thanks for helping out =)

1. What is a closed integral in electromagnetics?

A closed integral in electromagnetics, also known as a closed path integral or line integral, is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total electric or magnetic field around a closed loop. It takes into account the contributions of all points along the path, and is often represented as a curved line integral.

2. How is a closed integral different from an open integral?

A closed integral is calculated along a closed loop, while an open integral is calculated along an open path. This means that a closed integral takes into account the entire path, while an open integral only considers the start and end points.

3. What is the importance of closed integrals in electromagnetics?

Closed integrals are important in electromagnetics because they allow us to calculate the total electric or magnetic field around a closed loop. This is useful in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and how they interact with different materials and objects.

4. How are closed integrals used in practical applications?

Closed integrals have various practical applications in electromagnetics, such as in the design of antennas, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in electromagnetic field mapping and analysis, as well as in the calculation of circuit parameters in electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using closed integrals in electromagnetics?

While closed integrals are a powerful mathematical tool in electromagnetics, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately represent the behavior of electromagnetic fields in highly non-linear materials, and their calculations can become complex for more complex field configurations. In these cases, other methods such as numerical simulations may be necessary.