Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed linear cosmology implies G M / R = c^2?

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    I have a question about a linear FRW cosmology with [itex]k=+1[/itex].

Assuming zero cosmological constant the first Friedmann equation can be written:

$$\left(\frac{\dot R}{R}\right)^2 + \frac{kc^2}{R^2}=\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho$$

where scalar curvature [itex]k=-1[/itex] (open),0 (flat) or +1 (closed) and [itex]R(t)[/itex] is the radius of curvature of space.

Now I assume a linear cosmology so that:

$$R = c t.$$

Thus the Friedmann equation becomes:

$$\frac{c^2}{R^2} + \frac{kc^2}{R^2}=\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho.$$

If [itex]k=-1[/itex] then [itex]\rho=0[/itex]. This is the empty Milne Universe with negative spatial curvature.

If [itex]k=0[/itex] then we have a flat Universe with:

$$\frac{c^2}{R^2} = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho.$$

Because the Universe is flat I can write an expression for the total mass [itex]M[/itex] in a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex]:

$$M = \frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

so that

$$\frac{GM}{R}=\frac{c^2}{2}.$$

Now I want to look at the case with [itex]k=+1[/itex]:

$$\frac{c^2}{R^2} + \frac{c^2}{R^2}=\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho.$$

One could say that this case must have a positive spatial curvature and thus the equation (1) linking mass, density and volume of a sphere is not valid.

But I can define [itex]\rho^\prime = \rho/2[/itex] so that I get the equation:

$$\frac{c^2}{R^2} = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho^\prime.$$

This is exactly the same as the flat Friedmann equation but with half the density. Therefore equation (1) is still valid. Thus a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex] will have a mass [itex]M/2[/itex] so that, in this case, one would get the equation:

$$\frac{GM}{R}=c^2.$$

Is this correct?

I ask because the linear model with [itex]k=+1[/itex] is unique in that the curvature term and the density term have exactly the same [itex]1/R^2[/itex] dependence. I thought therefore that maybe the curvature can be included with the density leaving an effectively flat cosmology.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted