1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed loop damping ratio

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    From control systems:
    I am asked to find the value of K that gives the closed loop damping ratio of 1/sqrt2.
    The value for the complimentary sensitivity is
    T(S)=(2KS +4K)/(s^3 +162S^2 +(320+2K)S +4K)
    so how do I find the value for K?

I tried putting it in the general equation, but it wont fit since on the bottom, there is a s^3 term, and on the top, there is a s term.

If it is not allowed on physics forums to give a proper answer, then please can you just lead me in the right direction? My notes have nothing in and I can't find anything online!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't even know if a damping ratio is defined for a third-order system. I would ask what the definition of damping ratio is for such a system.

To quote Wikipedia: "The damping ratio is a parameter, usually denoted by ζ (zeta),[1] that characterizes the frequency response of a second order ordinary differential equation."

You could force the three poles to all be barely real but that would give you critical damping, not what is asked for. And factoring a 3rd order polynomial is a bear anyway ...

BTW I looked up "complementary sensitivity function" and it's just output/input of a noiseless system. So no help there.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted