Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed loop drive system

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Hello, I have a few questions regarding machine tool drive and feed back system.
    Say I have a 1 meter long guide way and a carriage that is driven by DC motor. This carriage glides on air bearings.
    The drive mechanism has pinch rollers that pinch a drive rod and these rollers are driven by the dc motor.
    I have linear positioning scales attached for precise linear positioning.
    I have a mechanical switch that will trigger once it makes contact with a fixed mechanical stop at the end of the meter travel.
    This signal goes to a dedicated PC where software provides feed back to the drive motor.
    How is the processed linear position going to vary versus the true linear position?
    Is there has to be a certain signal lag time due to linear position signal being processed ?
    Will heat effect the true signal accuracy of the scales?
    Will motor drive noise add to error of the system?
    If a software program is written to slow the motor prior to contacting the mechanical stop, would this increase signal lag time?
    How can I get the most accurate and precise 1000 mm distance movement with this system?

I appreciate any reply as I am not well versed in this discipline.

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted