Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed Loop

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1

Aki

Do you think we could living in a universe where time is like a rubber band; it has no beginning and no end, as it continues forever in a closed loop. So basically after a loop, then time returns to zero. But is it possible that we are living in a closed loop?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It is possible, and it is philosophically appealing, but, science prefers observation and math before drawing conclusions. Even God prefers logic over chaos.

4. Oct 4, 2004 #3
    I agree 100%. However, Gods logic may well be much different from ours.

5. Oct 4, 2004 #4
    That statement would be impossible to "prove".

6. Oct 4, 2004 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's bring this back to a discussion of the nature of time.
    & I'll move this to the general A&C forum.
    thanks

7. Oct 7, 2004 #6

Aki

So even if we are in a closed loop, we would never be able to realise that, right?

8. Oct 7, 2004 #7

anti_crank

Science Advisor

As unbelievable as it might sound, this is actually a well known solution to the GR equations. If you do a Google search on "Godel's universe", you should find some references to get started on this most interesting topic.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  9. Oct 7, 2004 #8
    I don't think so. If it is possible then the we should not have nuclear disintegration or if we do then the lost elements must be regenrated in there.
    But it might be possible in future, if sometime universe reversed its expansion then we might notice that it could be possible.

10. Oct 9, 2004 #9

Aki

Would it be possible to escape from a closed loop?

11. Oct 9, 2004 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Well [strapping on my crash helmet] perhaps once this universe thins out enough, quantum fluctuations will cause another big bang.

12. Oct 16, 2004 #11

Aki

chronos, what do you mean by the universe "thins out enough"?

13. Oct 16, 2004 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Perhaps when the energy density [entropy] of the observable universe drops to a certain threshold, another big bang will occur. That notion is inspired by quantum mechanics, which insists upon a state of flux. A universe with too much gravity will immediately collapse. A universe with a gravitational force too weak will fly apart before structures have a chance to form. My thinking is this universe is a perfect balance between the two states. I perceive the universe must be perfectly balanced to endure as long as it has. It is also appears it took many cycles to find one that lasted this long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?