1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed operation

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    The question given is: Determine the smallest subset A of Z such that 2 ε A and A is closed with respect to addition.

The answer given was the set of all positive even integers, but I was thinking that the smallest subset would be the given element and the identity element (0 in this case) so that A = {0,2}...wouldn't this be more accurate?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    To understand why that is not correct, you have to know what closure of an operator over a set means.

A set S is closed under a binary operator + iff for all x, y in S, x + y is in S.

A = {0, 2} isn't closed under addition because the definition is not satisfied. We can find a counter example where x and y are both in S, but x + y is not. The counter example is with x = 2 and y = 2.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    Closed means you can do it to any two (possibly non-unique) elements and get an answer in your set.

S = {0, 2} doesn't work since 2+2=4 is not in S.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    I see. Thanks...funny I didn't notice that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook