Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed posts

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1

Gaz

Why is so many of the threads closed I'm reading a lot of posts then get to the bottom and they have been closed so I can't reply why are they all being closed ???

Also why can't people discus scientific idea's that are not published works of the "Standard Model" . I thought science was about questioning everything? How about a link were we can just go crazy and imagine new ways of looking at things. maybe dare to say I don't think it's photons I think it's actually a wave and here's why. That kind of thing allowed or not ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF has tried that in the past but it became a maintenance headache. Threads automatically lock after a certain time period to avoid necro-posting. As for the rest of the reasons, you can find a lot of info in the Physics Forums Global Guidelines.

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Old threads are automatically locked I think. It's rather pointless to try to reply to a thread that's several years old. The older the thread, the more likely it is that the people posting in the thread are no longer around.

From PF Terms and Rules:

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.

PF's mission is to teach people about known science, not to discuss things which are not part of known science. There are plenty of forums you can go to where you can discuss such things, but PF is not one of them.

Because people who post these things have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They lack the necessary training, education, and experience to tell what is viable and what isn't. It's the same reason amateurs don't build multi-million dollar highway bridges. They don't know what they're doing. PF actually had a section for personal theories in the past, but it turned out badly. People would post their personal ideas and then ignore all criticism against them, so there was no point in having it around.

5. Aug 1, 2015 #4

Gaz

lol Yes plenty Other sites If you want to talk about these things with people who are coo coo for cocoa puffs.

But I Would rather ask scientists about them they will at least try to educate you on why your wrong instead of insisting your wrong because the world is flat or something along them lines.

And finally your last sentence That is exactly what I'm on about even if they are wrong that is a really bad attitude all scientists seam to have against any idea that doesn't conform with the standard model.

And that's me done on the subject I'm not kicking up a fuss was just asking =)

6. Aug 1, 2015 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I've seen, relativity and black holes are the two most recurrent thread topics where people post these types of misconceptions.

Here's a good example of what PF has gone through with people who just don't get it. Multiple PF members spent 8 hours and 11 pages trying to explain the basics of relativity in this thread (1.5 Times the Speed of Light) but the OP just kept repeating the same wrong things over and over. After it was locked, he actually PM'd me to try to continue the debate. I passed on that.

7. Aug 1, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

WOW. I knew the folks here (not counting me) were tolerant but that's over the top.

8. Aug 1, 2015 #7

jtbell

9. Aug 1, 2015 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Earlier version of the forum --- "pi is a rational number" ---
    --- months (?), weeks certainly, and I hesitate to guess the rest --- senseless slaughter of innocent electrons.

10. Aug 1, 2015 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And no self-respecting scientist would waste his/her time there. Yet, we have plenty of scientists, engineers, etc. on here. There is something called signal-to-noise ratio that is often a factor in attracting such people.

There is a difference between asking "Hey, I don't understand this. Can you help me understand it?" versus "Hey, I think I can show that the limit on the speed of light is wrong. Now tell me why this is not right!" The former is by someone who wishes to learn. The latter is someone who is to lazy to learn.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/imagination-without-knowledge-is-ignorance-waiting-to-happen.765715/ [Broken]

http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2006/10/imagination-without-knowledge-is_18.html
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...y-forum-like-we-need-a-computer-virus.765736/

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Aug 1, 2015 #10

Drakkith

Why? You seem to be under the impression that just throwing out uneducated opinions and ideas is useful. I know of no skilled profession that accepts advice from people who aren't trained in that profession. And let's be clear here. Scientists aren't against ideas that go against the standard model, they are against ideas that come from people who don't know what they're talking about. An idea from a trained scientist that goes against the standard model is accepted just fine. It's then run through peer review and looked over by their peers who determine if it has merit. That's how science progresses. Not by going through the streets asking random people for ideas and opinions, but by the application of the scientific method by trained professionals.

12. Aug 2, 2015 #11

Borek

In other words: you can't think outside of the box, not knowing where the box is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook