1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed set (metric spaces)

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] are continuous functions show that:

(a) the graph of [itex]f[/itex], [itex]\{(x,f(x)) : x\in\mathbb{R} \}[/itex] is a closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex].

(b) [itex]\{ (x,f(x),g(x)) : x\in \mathbb{R} \}[/itex] is a closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done (a): the graph can be written as [itex]\{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: y-f(x) = 0 \}[/itex] so we can use preimages:

Considering the function [itex]F : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined [itex]F(x,y) = y-f(x)[/itex]; [itex]F[/itex] is continuous and the graph of [itex]f[/itex] is the preimage [itex]F^*(0)[/itex] and since [itex]\{0\}[/itex] is closed so is the graph.

(b) must be similar but I can't see how to write the set in a form where I can use preimages immediately.

The set can be written as:

[itex]\{ (x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3 : y = f(x) , z = g(x) \}[/itex]

i.e. [itex]\{ (x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3 : y - f(x) = g(x) - z = 0 \}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2
    Hint: What must be the values of [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [tex]a^2+b^2=0?[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook