Analyzing a Closed Set on the Complex Line

In summary, the problem is to determine if the set A, defined as the absolute value of 1/(z^2+1) where z is on the complex line with a usual metric, is a closed set. To solve this, it is suggested to find a way to identify the points in the set and to think of A as the range of a function defined on a specific subset of the complex numbers.
Somefantastik

Homework Statement

on the complex line, with the usual metric, I need to determine if this is a closed set.

[tex] A = \left\{\left|\frac{1}{z^{2}+1} \right|: |z| = 1 ; z\neq \pm i\right \} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A closed set implies that the set of all limit points belongs to A.

Usually I'm given a function, and I take an arbitrary convergent sequence and show whether or not that point to which it converges is in A or not. But when I have just a set like this, I'm unsure of how to do that. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding a way to figure out what points are in the set.

Also, you might find it worthwhile to think of A as the image (your prof might call it the range) of the function [itex]f\colon \{z:|z|=1, z\neq\pm i\}\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] defined by
[tex] f(z) = \left|\frac{1}{z^2+1}\right|.[/tex]​

1. What is a closed set on the complex line?

A closed set on the complex line is a subset of the complex plane that includes all of its boundary points. This means that every point on the edge of the set is also included in the set itself.

2. How is a closed set different from an open set?

A closed set is different from an open set in that it includes all of its boundary points, while an open set does not. In other words, a closed set is "closed off" and contains all of its elements, while an open set is "open" and may not contain some of its boundary points.

3. How is a closed set analyzed on the complex line?

A closed set on the complex line can be analyzed using various mathematical techniques, such as limit points, accumulation points, and boundary points. These can help determine the properties and behavior of the set, as well as its relationship to other sets on the complex line.

4. What are some examples of closed sets on the complex line?

Some examples of closed sets on the complex line include a single point, a line segment, a circle, and a filled-in shape such as a triangle. These sets all include their boundary points, making them closed sets.

5. Why is analyzing a closed set on the complex line important?

Analyzing a closed set on the complex line can provide valuable information about the set's properties and behavior, as well as its relationship to other sets on the complex line. This can help in understanding complex functions and solving mathematical problems involving closed sets.