Understanding the Closed Set of Natural Numbers

In summary, the discussion revolves around the closure of a set of natural numbers in a topological or metric space. The conversation explores different perspectives and examples, including the idea of embedding natural numbers in a generic metric space and its implications. Ultimately, the conclusion is that every topological space is considered "closed" as a subset of itself, but there is no assumed embedding of natural numbers in a generic metric space.
Parag Kulkarni
Hi,
How and why set of natural numbers is closed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Closed in what topological/metric space?

What are your thoughts?

Likes Parag Kulkarni
micromass said:
Closed in what topological/metric space?

What are your thoughts?
Good question. I think it's about metric space.

OP:There is no natural definition of natural numbers in a generic metric space. Do you have any particular embedding of the natural numbers in mind?

ℕ as a half-group is closed under addition.
ℕ as a discreet topological space is closed by itself. A discreet metric won't change anything. But both is more or less trivial.
ℕ⊆ℝ is closed since its complement is open, i.e. you can find to each real number r, that is not natural, an open intervall that contains r but still no natural number.

Every topological space is "closed' as a subset of itself. If you have it embedded in the real numbers with the "usual metric", d(x, y)= |x- y|, then it is closed as fresh_42 says.

HallsofIvy said:
Every topological space is "closed' as a subset of itself. If you have it embedded in the real numbers with the "usual metric", d(x, y)= |x- y|, then it is closed as fresh_42 says.
I assume you are replying to my post. There is no assumed embedding of the naturals into the generic metric space.

WWGD said:
I assume you are replying to my post. There is no assumed embedding of the naturals into the generic metric space.
Yes, you are right. And I can imagine a couple of very funny embeddings, metric or not. But considering the simplicity of the question it's not very unlikely that ℕ⊂ℝ with it's euclidean metric is meant. And yes, it hasn't been mentioned. Reading the questions here I found that most of them are far from being precise or even clear.

1. What is the closed set of natural numbers?

The closed set of natural numbers, also known as the set of whole numbers, is a set of positive integers that starts from 0 and continues infinitely.

2. Why is the closed set of natural numbers important?

The closed set of natural numbers is important because it forms the foundation for basic arithmetic and mathematical operations. It also helps in understanding the concept of infinity and is used in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. How is the closed set of natural numbers different from the open set of natural numbers?

The closed set of natural numbers includes 0, while the open set does not. Additionally, the closed set is a finite set, while the open set is an infinite set.

4. Can the closed set of natural numbers be extended beyond infinity?

No, the closed set of natural numbers is considered the highest possible set of positive integers and cannot be extended beyond infinity. It is a concept that goes beyond human comprehension.

5. How is the closed set of natural numbers used in real life?

The closed set of natural numbers is used in various real-life situations, such as counting objects, measuring quantities, and keeping track of time. It is also essential in fields like economics, physics, and computer science.