Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed Set

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    How and why set of natural numbers is closed?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Closed in what topological/metric space?

What are your thoughts?

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    Good question. I think it's about metric space.

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What metric space?

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OP:There is no natural definition of natural numbers in a generic metric space. Do you have any particular embedding of the natural numbers in mind?

7. Nov 4, 2015 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

ℕ as a half-group is closed under addition.
    ℕ as a discreet topological space is closed by itself. A discreet metric won't change anything. But both is more or less trivial.
    ℕ⊆ℝ is closed since its complement is open, i.e. you can find to each real number r, that is not natural, an open intervall that contains r but still no natural number.

8. Nov 4, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Every topological space is "closed' as a subset of itself. If you have it embedded in the real numbers with the "usual metric", d(x, y)= |x- y|, then it is closed as fresh_42 says.

9. Nov 4, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you are replying to my post. There is no assumed embedding of the naturals into the generic metric space.

10. Nov 4, 2015 #9

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are right. And I can imagine a couple of very funny embeddings, metric or not. But considering the simplicity of the question it's not very unlikely that ℕ⊂ℝ with it's euclidean metric is meant. And yes, it hasn't been mentioned. Reading the questions here I found that most of them are far from being precise or even clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook