1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed sets

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given A and B are closed sets in R does it follow that A+B is closed? (A+B={a+b|a in A and b in B})

2. Relevant equations
    A set X is closed iff all of its limiting points are in X.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't think this is true. I've tried constructing convergent sequences A and B and having the limit of the sum not being contained in A+B. But then A and B can't be closed.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, let A=N where N={1,2,3...}. Let B={-n+1/(n+1)} for n in N. I claim 0 is in the closure of A+B. But is not in A+B. Can you prove me wrong? Whew, that took a while.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    Gah. That's nice and clean. Thanks.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem. Though it did hurt. I figure if you are having problems, it's not going to be easy for me, either.

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

Incidentally, if A and B are both bounded, A+B is closed. I'm not sure about the case when only one of them is bounded though.

7. Sep 18, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if the C sequence is convergent and A is bounded then the A sequence has a convergent subsequence (compact). Doesn't that imply the corresponding B subsequence is convergent and seal everyone's fate?

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

Not bad. My idea for the case where both were compact was to send AxB under +:RxR->R, the product and images of compact sets being compact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?