1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed sets

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    Let U be an open subset of a metric space X,and A be an arbitrary subset of X. Prove that the intersection of U and closure of A is empty if and only if the intersection of U and A be empty.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

What have you tried?

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    Please help me how can I Prove that " the intersection of U and closure of A is empty if and only if the intersection of U and A be empty. "

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    I have proved just one direction of this question:
    If the intersection of U and closure of A is empty then the intersection of U and A is empty too.
    The closure of A is equal to the union of A and the set of all limit points(accumulation points) of A. Then we can use this definition of the closure of A. then after substitution, we have:
    [ intersection of A and U ] U [intersection of U and the set of limit points of A] = empty set
    so it says that both the sets [ intersection of A and U ] and [intersection of U and the set of limit points of A] should be empty.
    But I don't know how to prove the opposite direction of this question.
    Please help me.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    could you please help me with this question

7. Oct 17, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

I would approach this doing a proof by contradiction.

Assume the intersection of U and A is empty and assume to the contrary that the intersection of U and the closure of A is not empty.

What does this mean?

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    it means that the intersection of U and the closure of A is a set S which contains a point z that is in U and closure of A both. Actually I don't know how to continue the rest of the prove...

9. Oct 17, 2011 #8
    is there any idea for continuing the above solution??

10. Oct 18, 2011 #9

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Yes, expand on this. If z is in U and the closure of A, what does this mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook