1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed subset of vectorspace

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    W is a subset of C[-Pi,Pi] consisting of all finite linear combinations:
    1,cos(nx),sin(nx)
    i) Show that W is a subspace of C[-Pi,Pi]
    ii) Is W closed in C[-Pi,Pi]. Hint from Fourier analysis: For x in [-Pi,Pi]:
    [itex]|x^2-(\dfrac{\pi^2}{3}+4\sum\limits_{n=1}^N\dfrac{(-1)^{n}\cos(nx)}{n^2})|\leq 4\sum\limits_{n=N+1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{n^2}[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations
    C[-Pi,Pi] could be equipped with a norm
    Lemma: W is closed <=> For any convergent sequence [itex]\{ v_k \}_{k=1}^\infty[/itex] of elements in W the V = limit (vk) for k->infinity also belongs to W.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have shown that W is a subspace by realising that linearcombinations of sines cosines and 1's are also in C[-Pi,Pi].
    ii)
    I concluded as sum(1/n^2) is convergent and the left hand side is less than or equal(also convergent) to for x in [-Pi,Pi], then V is closed in C[-Pi,Pi]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

1) looks reasonable

2) I'm not too sure I understand your argument or the hint...

As a thought exercise how about taking your sequence of functions as the Fourier approximations to the heaviside function

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook