Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed Thread Symbol

1. May 11, 2013 #1

Danger

Gold Member

It's my own fault for being sloppy, (and my vision isn't superb)—I keep reading through threads with the intent of posting, then getting to the end and realizing that they're closed. I'm just wondering if the "Closed" sign could be made a little more prominent, such as by changing the colour.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

While I'm at it, what is that "Auto Sign In" button on the opening screen? Since it appears to do nothing, I have speculated that it's the same as the old "Remember Me" button. Is that correct?

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Fair enough, but we don't want the forum display page to be obnoxious with color. Just because a thread is closed, doesn't make it unworthy to read.

Yes it is the remember me function.

5. May 13, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, thanks Greg.

6. May 13, 2013 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Uhm I often can't tell when a thread is closed either. :redface:

We used to have icons at the beginning of each thread that showed the thread status. Now they're gone.

7. May 14, 2013 #6
    Perhaps make the closed icon black? Grey on lighter grey is a bit hard to see sometimes (depending on the contrast of my monitor).

8. May 15, 2013 #7

cobalt124

Gold Member

I thought the closed sign had been removed! I'll take a closer look.

9. May 17, 2013 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just clicked on this thread -

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692167

Before I clicked on it, it *clearly* did not have a closed symbol on it.

I opened it and saw it had been closed - and it had been closed hours before I clicked on it. I went back to General Discussion, and then I saw the closed symbol on the thread. I'm 100% certain it wasn't there before I opened it.

So does the thread have to be opened in order to see the closed thread?

10. May 18, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

I can confirm this bug.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58810&stc=1&d=1368865947.png

After I opened the thread, it got the "closed" symbol.
    It is interesting that it did not have the "new post" symbol.

Attached Files:

11. May 18, 2013 #10

berkeman

From some discussions previously in the Mentor forums, the display of the closed icon is browser-specific (it is invisible white on white for me with IE), and in the top view, it does not show at all for search results pages...

12. May 18, 2013 #11
    Would you consider putting the whole word "Closed" or "Locked" rather than just the letter C? I think that would minimize confusion, and wouldn't be any more obtrusive than the word "Sticky" for a sticky thread.

13. May 20, 2013 #12

Borek

Greg, any chances general list of the new posts (Get Posts/New Posts from the forum menu) will have same set of symbols lists in subforums have? There is no C for closed thread, and the symbol for threads I posted in is sometimes missing when there are several other symbols present.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook