What are closed time-like curves and how are they related to General Relativity?

In summary, CTCs exist near the ring singularity of a kerr black hole and are the integral curves of the axial killing vector field.
zepp0814
I understand that GR allows for a method of time travel using closed time like curves (CTC)s. anyway i have a few question about this, first of is there some sort of (relativaly short) equation that discribes this. So my second question is based of a something i read in this thesis paper (http://digitalcommons.bucknell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1083&context=honors_theses Part2.7) It stated mentioned something called "time-like 4-velocities" what is this and and how is it calculated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are different ways of getting closed time-like curves. The most simple way is to take a space-time and create some kind of a quotient space in a suitable way so as to create CTCs. For example, if you take Minkowski space-time ##(\mathbb{R}^{4}, \eta_{ab})## and identify the ##t = 0## and ##t = 1## slices, you will end up with the cylinder ##S^{1}\times \mathbb{R}^{3}## which you can picture intuitively as the two time slices "wrapping around each other". In this case, the integral curves of ##\frac{\partial }{\partial t}## will be closed time-like curves as you can probably visualize. See chapter 8 of Wald "General Relativity" for a further discussion of CTCs. To give a more physical example, CTCs also exist near the ring singularity of a kerr black hole and, if I recall correctly, are the integral curves of the axial killing vector field ##\psi = \frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi}## (which are closed by definition) since it turns time-like near the ring singularity.

A Closed Timelike Curve is something that works like this:

Attachments

• Time Machine.gif
    Time Machine.gif
    96.2 KB · Views: 575
zepp0814 said:
I understand that GR allows for a method of time travel using closed time like curves (CTC)s. anyway i have a few question about this, first of is there some sort of (relativaly short) equation that discribes this.

The following paper looks at closed timelike curves in Kerr-Newman metric where CTC's occur at [itex]g_{\phi \phi}=0[/itex] (which is at the ring singularity for Kerr metric and outside/near the ring for the Kerr-Newman metric)

'A twist in the geometry of rotating black holes: seeking the cause of acausality'
http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.2324v2

The following paper also has some info from page 33 onwards-

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/phys5770_08/bh.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
the basic idea of a ctc is fairly simple. In relativity, objects move along timelike curves. and if this curve comes back on itself, then it is a closed curve. hence timetravel. the possibility for having a ctc depends on the geometry of the specific spacetime you are trying to model. (for example, the one WannabeNewton mentioned). I don't know much general relativity, but I don't think there is any general way to say what kind of spacetime geometries give rise to the possibility of ctc's. Of course, you can pick examples of geometries that do have ctc's. And you can also pick examples of geometries without ctc's. But I don't think there is a simple, general way to categorise any and all spacetime geometries into those with or without ctc's. I think for a general case, you just have to find out 'by inspection'.

Thanks everyone but I have one more question what part of EFE are the solutions (such as kerr ) for. Since most of them if not all don't require a mass or energy In there metric equation. I always just assume it was a solution to the metric tensor

Oh well I get swartzschild has his radius equation built into his metric wh8ch uses mass

What are closed time-like curves?

Closed time-like curves (CTCs) are hypothetical paths in spacetime that allow for time travel. They are commonly associated with theories of time travel, such as the concept of a wormhole or the Alcubierre drive.

Can CTCs actually exist?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of CTCs. They are only theoretical constructs based on certain solutions to Einstein's equations of general relativity. However, some physicists believe that they may be possible in certain extreme conditions, such as near rotating black holes.

How do CTCs affect causality?

The existence of CTCs would violate the principle of causality, which states that the cause must always precede the effect. This means that events on a CTC could potentially create a paradox, where the cause and effect are reversed in time. This is a major problem in theories of time travel and is still a subject of debate among scientists.

Could we use CTCs to travel back in time?

While the concept of CTCs is often associated with time travel, it is important to note that they are not a means of time travel in themselves. Even if CTCs were to exist, it is still unclear how one could use them to travel back in time. The idea of using CTCs for time travel remains purely speculative at this point.

What are the implications of CTCs for our understanding of the universe?

The existence of CTCs would have profound implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It would challenge our current understanding of causality and the concept of time itself. It could also potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies that could allow for time travel. However, until there is concrete evidence for the existence of CTCs, their implications remain purely theoretical.