1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closest distance of approach

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

A positive charge +Q is fixed at a point A on line AC. Another positively charged particle of mass m and charge +q is projected from a point B with velocity u. The point C is at large distance from A and B is situated at distance d perpendicular from point C from AC

Find the minimum distance of approach of +q towards +Q during motion.

Take [itex]Qq = 4\pi \varepsilon _{0}[/itex] and [itex]d=\sqrt{2}-1[/itex]

I tried at an instance where the velocity component directed towards +Q becomes zero. But I can't do anything about the perpendicular component of velocity as how it will increase the distance of particle from line AC.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi AGNuke! :smile:
    Is that the complete question? :confused:

C (and the distance d) seems to have no relevance unless the initial velocity u is parallel to AC.

If so, use conservation of angular momentum (because … ?) :wink:

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yeah. I got it. I conserved the angular momentum as well as mechanical energy (to get the velocity at closest distance of approach out of business) and got my answers.

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook