Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closing Threads!

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    I'm new to this forum and I wonder when and why some threads are closed and who is doing it? Why was for instance the thread "Answer to Ivan 2" closed? Does it have to do with what you are allowed to write and not!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Threads that are addressed to a single person, or with the intent of having a discussion with one person are not allowed, that is what private messaging is for.

A thread can be closed for numerous reasons. The most common reasons are threads that are meant to flame, the content has no merit, the content is already discussed in another thread, the thread is not progressing (circular arguments), inappropriate content, etc...

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi lundq,
    As a rule I don't close many threads. Please feel free to post. :smile:

5. Oct 20, 2004 #4
    It would be useful to have these rules made available, or perhaps they are and I just haven't seen them. They seem to make sense, and would probably save a lot of confusion if users knew what they are. It feels unfair when you are confronted with a rule you didn't know existed.

6. Oct 20, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The rules are in the PF Guidelines which new members are advised to read when they register. Here is the link https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Here are the specific infractions I listed.

PM Guidelines:
    If exclusively personal contact is needed, use the Private Message system. Do not post a topic where only one member is expected to answer.

Contact Guidelines:
    When contacting me (Greg) or a specific mentor please make use of our Private Message system or email us. Do not post a topic in a forum regarding your situation.

Language Guidelines:
    Any foul or hostile language used in Physics Forums will not be tolerated. This includes any derogatory statements and profanity. Direct or indirect personal attacks are strictly not permitted. Insults and negative attitudes are not allowed. It is better to walk away from a possible confontation and come back with constructive arguments.

Posting Guidelines:
    When posting a new topic, please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. If you are unsure, contact a mentor or the admin. Redundant topics are not allowed and are considered spam.

General:
    All messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of the forum owners. The owners and mentors of Physics Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Disciplinary Action:
    If any of the above is violated a warning will be issued to the offending member. A 2nd violation will result in a two week ban. If a third violation occurs, the offending member will be permanently removed from Physics Forums.

As you can see, Ivan has been overly tolerant.

7. Oct 20, 2004 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Read the posting guidelines in the PF community forum.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  8. Oct 20, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We want everyone to have the chance to make their case but I usually do close threads where: Specific, easily testable claims are made with no evidence to support them, the claim is known beyond all doubt to be nonsense, the discussion has spiraled out of control, the discussion becomes too abusive, or if the discussion degenerates into gibberish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?