Finding the Interior and Closure of Sets in a Topological Space

In summary, the problem is to find the interior and closure of two sets A in a topological space (N, U), where N is the set of natural numbers (without 0) and U = {0} U {Oi, i is from N}, with Oi = {i, i+1, i+2, ...} and {0} is the empty set. For the first set A = {n from N : (n - 7)/(n - 11) > 0}, the interior is {0} and the closure is N. For the second set A = {13, 5, 2010}, the interior is the empty set and the closure is {1,
radou
Homework Helper
I'm not sure about my answers, any help is highly appreciated.

Let (N, U) be a topological space, where N is the set of natural numbers (without 0), and U = {0} U {Oi, i is from N}, where Oi = {i, i+1, i+2, ...} and {0} is the empty set. One has to find the interior (Int) and closure (Cl) of these sets:

(a) A = {n from N : (n - 7)/(n - 11) > 0}
(b) A = {13, 5, 2010}

So, for (a):

Obviously, A = {n from N : n > 11 or n < 7} = N \ {7, 8, ... , 11}. The interior of A, Int(A), is by definition the union of all open subsets contained in A, and the open subsets in the topology (N, U) are elements of the family U or their unions and finite intersections. So Int(A) = {0} (the empty set, since no open subset in U can contain A. Now, the closure of A, Cl(A), is by definition the intersection of all closed subsets which contain A, i.e. the smallest one of them. So, Cl(A) = N, and N is closed, since its complement is the empty set, which is open. (I feel I'm missing something huge here.)

(b) Again, Int(A) = {0}. What would Cl(A) be? The first guess is Cl(A) = {5, 6, ...}, but is this set closed? Its complement is {1, 2, 3, 4}, but this is no open set contained in U?

I hope I didn't cause much confusion, but I need to solve this problem in order to clear out my way of thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that "{0}" is the empty set? That's a very strange way to represent it. Normally, "{ }" is the empty set, and "{0}" is the set whose only member is "0".

Oops, actually, I didn't find the symbol for the empty set, so I used "0" to represent it - so, we're talking about the set containing the empty set, {0} (this is exactly what's written in the problem I'm working on).

radou said:
I'm not sure about my answers, any help is highly appreciated.

Let (N, U) be a topological space, where N is the set of natural numbers (without 0), and U = {0} U {Oi, i is from N}, where Oi = {i, i+1, i+2, ...} and {0} is the empty set. One has to find the interior (Int) and closure (Cl) of these sets:

(a) A = {n from N : (n - 7)/(n - 11) > 0}
(b) A = {13, 5, 2010}

So, for (a):

Obviously, A = {n from N : n > 11 or n < 7} = N \ {7, 8, ... , 11}. The interior of A, Int(A), is by definition the union of all open subsets contained in A, and the open subsets in the topology (N, U) are elements of the family U or their unions and finite intersections. So Int(A) = {0} (the empty set, since no open subset in U can contain A.

The set O12 = {12, 13, ...} is contained in A and is also an element of U, and thus is open in (N, U). It is therefore contained in Int(A) as well.

OK, so Int(A) is the union of the sets Oi, where i >= 12, right? What about the closure of A?

Are you using the concept of limit points, or the concept of the frontier of A: Fr(A) ?
In either case, what do the neighborhoods of points look like in (N, U)?

slider142 said:
Are you using the concept of limit points, or the concept of the frontier of A: Fr(A) ?
In either case, what do the neighborhoods of points look like in (N, U)?

Both of these concepts are defined later on in the exercise notes I'm going through, so I guess I don't need to use them.

If i is an element of N, then ... , Oi-1, Oi, Oi+1, ... are all its neighborhoods, since they're open sets in U containing i. Now, an element i is in the closure of A iff every neighborhood of x intersects A, so Cl(A) = {1, 2, ... , 11} (since for 12 and greater elements of N, one can find neighborhoods which don't intersect A).

radou said:
Both of these concepts are defined later on in the exercise notes I'm going through, so I guess I don't need to use them.

If i is an element of N, then ... , Oi-1, Oi, Oi+1, ... are all its neighborhoods, since they're open sets in U containing i.
Oi+1 does not contain i. Only the sets On where n is less than or equal to i contain i.

Now, an element i is in the closure of A iff every neighborhood of x intersects A, so Cl(A) = {1, 2, ... , 11} (since for 12 and greater elements of N, one can find neighborhoods which don't intersect A).

Every neighborhood of 12 intersects A, since A contains all natural numbers greater than 11.

Wow, I just realized what silly stuff I wrote down. Let's start over.

If x is an element of N, then every neighborhood of x intersects A, so CL(A) = N, right?

radou said:
Wow, I just realized what silly stuff I wrote down. Let's start over.

If x is an element of N, then every neighborhood of x intersects A, so CL(A) = N, right?

Yep. :)

OK, and for the set {13, 5, 2010}. Its closure equals N, and its interior is the empty set, right? (Since no open set from U is contained in this set) Thanks in advance.

radou said:
OK, and for the set {13, 5, 2010}. Its closure equals N, and its interior is the empty set, right? (Since no open set from U is contained in this set) Thanks in advance.

This set's closure cannot be N, because the set O2011, an open set containing 2011, does not intersect it. The interior is correct.

slider142 said:
This set's closure cannot be N, because the set O2011, an open set containing 2011, does not intersect it. The interior is correct.

Oh yes, right. Thanks a lot. :)

So, the closure of A is {1, 2, ... 2010} or O1 \ O2011, right?

radou said:
Oh yes, right. Thanks a lot. :)

So, the closure of A is {1, 2, ... 2010} or O1 \ O2011, right?

Yep, that's it. :)

What is the closure and interior problem?

The closure and interior problem is a concept in topology that deals with the boundaries and interiors of sets. It asks whether the closure (the set of points that are either in the set or arbitrarily close to it) and the interior (the largest open set contained within the set) of a given set are equal.

Why is the closure and interior problem important?

The closure and interior problem is important because it helps to define and understand the properties of sets in topology. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as analysis and geometry.

What is the difference between closure and interior?

The closure of a set includes all the points in the set and any points that are arbitrarily close to it, while the interior only includes points that are contained within the set and not on its boundary. In other words, the interior is the largest open subset of the set, while the closure is the smallest closed subset that contains the set.

How is the closure and interior problem solved?

The closure and interior problem is solved by proving that the closure and interior are either equal or not equal for a given set. This can be done by using various techniques and theorems in topology, such as the definitions of closure and interior, as well as properties of open and closed sets.

What are some real-world applications of the closure and interior problem?

The closure and interior problem has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of fluids in pipes, the strength of materials, and to create algorithms for computer graphics and image processing.