1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closure of open ball

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that ##\overline{B(a,r)} = \{ x \in \mathbf R^n ; |a-x| \le r \}## in ##\mathbf R^n## for all points ##a \in \mathbf R^n## and ##r>0##.
    Is it possible to generalize the statement to any normed vector space?
    Give a example of a metric space where the statement is not true.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition:
    If ##X## is a matric space, if ##E \subset X##, and if ##E'## denotes the set of all limit points of ##E## in ##X##, then the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cap E'##.

Definition:
    Let ##(M,d)## be a metric space. An open ball with center in ##\mathbf a \in M## and radius ##r>0## is the set
    ##B(a,r) = \{x \in M;d(x,a)< r\}##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting with the first part:
    In ##\mathbf R^n## the open ball becomes
    ##B(a,r) = \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| < r\}##.
    Since ##\bar B## is union of all limits point and the ##B## I need to show that an arbitrary point
    ##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}## is a limit point
    while
    ##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| > r\}## isn't one.

Take any ##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}##. ##p## is a limit point of ##B## if every open ball to ##p## contains a point ##q \ne p## such that ##q \in B##.
    That is if for all ##\epsilon > 0## there is a point ##q \in \{x\in M; ||p-x||<\epsilon \} \cap B## (since ##p## and ##q## are from two disjoint sets).

This seems to be to be true since "for any ##\epsilon > 0## there is an infinite number of real numbers in the open ball" but I'm not sure what is expected of a proof or how to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a typo in the "relevant equations": "the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cap E'##" must be "the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cup E'##.

To prove that ##p\in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}## is a limit point , consider the following sequence ##(1-\frac{1}{n})p##.

EDIT: that would work if ##a=0##. For ##a \neq 0##, just translate everything and consider the sequence ##a + (p-a)(1-\frac{1}{n})##.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Been thinking over this a while and I'm not entirely sure what you meant with the sequence and how I should use it (limiting ##\epsilon## or as a point in ##B##). I tried to prove the statement for the open ball centered around ##\mathbf 0## as a start

Any point q satisfying ##q = (1-\frac{1}{n})r, \; \; n\in \mathbb Z^+## is therefore in ##B(\mathbf 0 ,r)## since ## (1-\frac{1}{n})r< r, \; \forall n \in \mathbb N##.

The sequence ##(1-\frac{1}{n})r \to r## as ##n \to \infty##. This means that
    ##\forall \epsilon>0 \; \exists N \in \mathbb Z^+## such that ##|(1-\frac{1}{n})r-r|< \epsilon, \; \forall n \ge N##.
    So for any ##\epsilon## the point ##q## satisfying ##||q||=|(1-\frac{1}{n})r|## for a sufficiently large ##n## is within the open ball ##\{ x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf x - \mathbf p||< \epsilon\}##. Hence ##\mathbf p## is a limit point.

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, this is more or less what you had to do.
    The formal argument I suggested with the sequence was (taking the case ##a=0##, the case ##a \neq## is very similar):
    For ##p\in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf 0 -\mathbf x|| = r\}##, the elements of the sequence ##p(1-\frac{1}{n})## lie in ##B(0,r)##, and the sequence converges to ##p##. You actually proved these two statements. It follows that ##p## lies in the closure of ##B(0,r)##.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  6. Apr 24, 2016 #5
    So you are using ##p \in \mathbf R^n## instead of the metric. I guess that would help with the last step I did, which felt shaky. Problem is I never worked with a sequence multiplied with an element from ##\mathbf R^n##.
    I didn't see your edit before now but I can see how using ##p-\frac{p-a}{n}## give the same result for an open ball around ##a##.

For the next part:
    To show that ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## isn't a limit point to ##B(a,r)## take the open ball around ##p## with radius ##\epsilon = \frac{||p-a||-r}{2}##. Then for a point ##q## in the open ball ##||p-q||<\frac{||p-a||-r}{2} \le \frac{||p-q||+||q-a||-r}{2}##. Hence
    ##r\le ||p-q||+r < ||q-a||##. So ##||q-a|| > r## and ##q## isn't a limit point.

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6
    As for the two last questions I believe I found a counterexample to the second one.
    Take the discrete metric
    ##d(x,y) = \begin{cases}1 \; \text{ If } x \ne y\\
    0 \; \text{ If } x = y.\end{cases}## and the ball ##B(0,0.5)##. Then there is not points ##q## satisfying ##d(q,a) = 0.5## regardless of ##a## so ##q## can't be a limit point so this would be a counterexample.

I suspect the other question is true, that the statement can be generalised to arbitrary normed vector spaces. At least for the proof that the point ##||q-a||>r## if ##||p-a||>r## only uses the triangle inequality which is always true for normed vector spaces. The first part I did in euclidean space but using your approach I don't see anything making it invalid.

8. Apr 24, 2016 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, this is correct, with two typos:
    - ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## must be ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x-a||>r\}##
    - the conclusion is that ##p## isn't a limit point, since you proved that the open ball ##p## with radius ##\epsilon## is disjoint from ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x-a||<r\}##
    Yes, the discrete metric is a good counterexample.
    As far as general normed spaces are concerned, the proof is indeed valid for any norm. Nowhere did you use a specific property of ##\mathbb R^n##.

9. Apr 24, 2016 #8
    Thanks for all the help! I did the proof with the ball around 0 first and forgot to add the a when I realised I could do the same for any ball!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted