Closure of Open Ball in Normed Vector Spaces

In summary, the closure of an open ball in a normed vector space is the smallest closed set that contains the open ball and its limit points. It is important because it extends the concept of convergence to a larger set of points in the vector space. The closure of an open ball is related to the closure of a set, where the former is a special case of the latter. The closure of an open ball cannot be an open set, and it differs from the closure of a closed ball in that it includes the boundary points of the open ball.
Incand

Homework Statement

Show that ##\overline{B(a,r)} = \{ x \in \mathbf R^n ; |a-x| \le r \}## in ##\mathbf R^n## for all points ##a \in \mathbf R^n## and ##r>0##.
Is it possible to generalize the statement to any normed vector space?
Give a example of a metric space where the statement is not true.

Homework Equations

Definition:
If ##X## is a matric space, if ##E \subset X##, and if ##E'## denotes the set of all limit points of ##E## in ##X##, then the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cap E'##.

Definition:
Let ##(M,d)## be a metric space. An open ball with center in ##\mathbf a \in M## and radius ##r>0## is the set
##B(a,r) = \{x \in M;d(x,a)< r\}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with the first part:
In ##\mathbf R^n## the open ball becomes
##B(a,r) = \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| < r\}##.
Since ##\bar B## is union of all limits point and the ##B## I need to show that an arbitrary point
##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}## is a limit point
while
##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| > r\}## isn't one.

Take any ##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}##. ##p## is a limit point of ##B## if every open ball to ##p## contains a point ##q \ne p## such that ##q \in B##.
That is if for all ##\epsilon > 0## there is a point ##q \in \{x\in M; ||p-x||<\epsilon \} \cap B## (since ##p## and ##q## are from two disjoint sets).

This seems to be to be true since "for any ##\epsilon > 0## there is an infinite number of real numbers in the open ball" but I'm not sure what is expected of a proof or how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##\overline{B(a,r)} = \{ x \in \mathbf R^n ; |a-x| \le r \}## in ##\mathbf R^n## for all points ##a \in \mathbf R^n## and ##r>0##.
Is it possible to generalize the statement to any normed vector space?
Give a example of a metric space where the statement is not true.

Homework Equations

Definition:
If ##X## is a matric space, if ##E \subset X##, and if ##E'## denotes the set of all limit points of ##E## in ##X##, then the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cap E'##.

Definition:
Let ##(M,d)## be a metric space. An open ball with center in ##\mathbf a \in M## and radius ##r>0## is the set
##B(a,r) = \{x \in M;d(x,a)< r\}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with the first part:
In ##\mathbf R^n## the open ball becomes
##B(a,r) = \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| < r\}##.
Since ##\bar B## is union of all limits point and the ##B## I need to show that an arbitrary point
##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}## is a limit point
while
##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| > r\}## isn't one.

Take any ##p\in \{x \in M; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}##. ##p## is a limit point of ##B## if every open ball to ##p## contains a point ##q \ne p## such that ##q \in B##.
That is if for all ##\epsilon > 0## there is a point ##q \in \{x\in M; ||p-x||<\epsilon \} \cap B## (since ##p## and ##q## are from two disjoint sets).

This seems to be to be true since "for any ##\epsilon > 0## there is an infinite number of real numbers in the open ball" but I'm not sure what is expected of a proof or how to prove it.
There is a typo in the "relevant equations": "the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cap E'##" must be "the closure of ##E## is the set ##\bar E = E \cup E'##.

To prove that ##p\in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf a -\mathbf x|| = r\}## is a limit point , consider the following sequence ##(1-\frac{1}{n})p##.

EDIT: that would work if ##a=0##. For ##a \neq 0##, just translate everything and consider the sequence ##a + (p-a)(1-\frac{1}{n})##.

Last edited:
Likes Incand
Been thinking over this a while and I'm not entirely sure what you meant with the sequence and how I should use it (limiting ##\epsilon## or as a point in ##B##). I tried to prove the statement for the open ball centered around ##\mathbf 0## as a start

Any point q satisfying ##q = (1-\frac{1}{n})r, \; \; n\in \mathbb Z^+## is therefore in ##B(\mathbf 0 ,r)## since ## (1-\frac{1}{n})r< r, \; \forall n \in \mathbb N##.

The sequence ##(1-\frac{1}{n})r \to r## as ##n \to \infty##. This means that
##\forall \epsilon>0 \; \exists N \in \mathbb Z^+## such that ##|(1-\frac{1}{n})r-r|< \epsilon, \; \forall n \ge N##.
So for any ##\epsilon## the point ##q## satisfying ##||q||=|(1-\frac{1}{n})r|## for a sufficiently large ##n## is within the open ball ##\{ x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf x - \mathbf p||< \epsilon\}##. Hence ##\mathbf p## is a limit point.

Incand said:
Been thinking over this a while and I'm not entirely sure what you meant with the sequence and how I should use it (limiting ##\epsilon## or as a point in ##B##). I tried to prove the statement for the open ball centered around ##\mathbf 0## as a start

Any point q satisfying ##q = (1-\frac{1}{n})r, \; \; n\in \mathbb Z^+## is therefore in ##B(\mathbf 0 ,r)## since ## (1-\frac{1}{n})r< r, \; \forall n \in \mathbb N##.

The sequence ##(1-\frac{1}{n})r \to r## as ##n \to \infty##. This means that
##\forall \epsilon>0 \; \exists N \in \mathbb Z^+## such that ##|(1-\frac{1}{n})r-r|< \epsilon, \; \forall n \ge N##.
So for any ##\epsilon## the point ##q## satisfying ##||q||=|(1-\frac{1}{n})r|## for a sufficiently large ##n## is within the open ball ##\{ x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf x - \mathbf p||< \epsilon\}##. Hence ##\mathbf p## is a limit point.
Well, this is more or less what you had to do.
The formal argument I suggested with the sequence was (taking the case ##a=0##, the case ##a \neq## is very similar):
For ##p\in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||\mathbf 0 -\mathbf x|| = r\}##, the elements of the sequence ##p(1-\frac{1}{n})## lie in ##B(0,r)##, and the sequence converges to ##p##. You actually proved these two statements. It follows that ##p## lies in the closure of ##B(0,r)##.

Last edited:
Likes Incand
So you are using ##p \in \mathbf R^n## instead of the metric. I guess that would help with the last step I did, which felt shaky. Problem is I never worked with a sequence multiplied with an element from ##\mathbf R^n##.
I didn't see your edit before now but I can see how using ##p-\frac{p-a}{n}## give the same result for an open ball around ##a##.

For the next part:
To show that ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## isn't a limit point to ##B(a,r)## take the open ball around ##p## with radius ##\epsilon = \frac{||p-a||-r}{2}##. Then for a point ##q## in the open ball ##||p-q||<\frac{||p-a||-r}{2} \le \frac{||p-q||+||q-a||-r}{2}##. Hence
##r\le ||p-q||+r < ||q-a||##. So ##||q-a|| > r## and ##q## isn't a limit point.

As for the two last questions I believe I found a counterexample to the second one.
Take the discrete metric
##d(x,y) = \begin{cases}1 \; \text{ If } x \ne y\\
0 \; \text{ If } x = y.\end{cases}## and the ball ##B(0,0.5)##. Then there is not points ##q## satisfying ##d(q,a) = 0.5## regardless of ##a## so ##q## can't be a limit point so this would be a counterexample.

I suspect the other question is true, that the statement can be generalised to arbitrary normed vector spaces. At least for the proof that the point ##||q-a||>r## if ##||p-a||>r## only uses the triangle inequality which is always true for normed vector spaces. The first part I did in euclidean space but using your approach I don't see anything making it invalid.

Incand said:
So you are using ##p \in \mathbf R^n## instead of the metric. I guess that would help with the last step I did, which felt shaky. Problem is I never worked with a sequence multiplied with an element from ##\mathbf R^n##.
I didn't see your edit before now but I can see how using ##p-\frac{p-a}{n}## give the same result for an open ball around ##a##.

For the next part:
To show that ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## isn't a limit point to ##B(a,r)## take the open ball around ##p## with radius ##\epsilon = \frac{||p-a||-r}{2}##. Then for a point ##q## in the open ball ##||p-q||<\frac{||p-a||-r}{2} \le \frac{||p-q||+||q-a||-r}{2}##. Hence
##r\le ||p-q||+r < ||q-a||##. So ##||q-a|| > r## and ##q## isn't a limit point.
Yes, this is correct, with two typos:
- ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## must be ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x-a||>r\}##
- the conclusion is that ##p## isn't a limit point, since you proved that the open ball ##p## with radius ##\epsilon## is disjoint from ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x-a||<r\}##
Incand said:
As for the two last questions I believe I found a counterexample to the second one.
Take the discrete metric
##d(x,y) = \begin{cases}1 \; \text{ If } x \ne y\\
0 \; \text{ If } x = y.\end{cases}## and the ball ##B(0,0.5)##. Then there is not points ##q## satisfying ##d(q,a) = 0.5## regardless of ##a## so ##q## can't be a limit point so this would be a counterexample.

I suspect the other question is true, that the statement can be generalised to arbitrary normed vector spaces. At least for the proof that the point ##||q-a||>r## if ##||p-a||>r## only uses the triangle inequality which is always true for normed vector spaces. The first part I did in euclidean space but using your approach I don't see anything making it invalid.
Yes, the discrete metric is a good counterexample.
As far as general normed spaces are concerned, the proof is indeed valid for any norm. Nowhere did you use a specific property of ##\mathbb R^n##.

Likes Incand
Samy_A said:
- ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x||>r\}## must be ##p \in \{x \in \mathbb R^n; ||x-a||>r\}##
Thanks for all the help! I did the proof with the ball around 0 first and forgot to add the a when I realized I could do the same for any ball!

1. What is the definition of closure of an open ball in normed vector spaces?

The closure of an open ball in a normed vector space is the set of all points that are either in the open ball or are limit points of the open ball. In other words, it is the smallest closed set that contains the open ball.

2. Why is the closure of an open ball important in normed vector spaces?

The closure of an open ball is important because it allows us to extend the concept of convergence to a larger set of points in the vector space. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics, including functional analysis and topology.

3. How is the closure of an open ball related to the closure of a set?

The closure of an open ball is a special case of the closure of a set. In general, the closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains the given set. Since the closure of an open ball is a closed set, it is also the closure of the open ball as a set.

4. Can the closure of an open ball be an open set?

No, the closure of an open ball cannot be an open set. This is because the closure of a set always contains all of its limit points, and an open set cannot contain its boundary points. Therefore, the closure of an open ball must be a closed set.

5. How is the closure of an open ball different from the closure of a closed ball?

The closure of an open ball and the closure of a closed ball are different in that the former includes the boundary points of the open ball, while the latter does not. In other words, the closure of a closed ball is the closed ball itself, while the closure of an open ball is the closed ball plus its boundary points.