1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closures on ordered sets

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

OK, this question may sound somewhat trivial, but I'd still like to check my answer. It's from Munkres.

Let X be an ordered set with the order topology. One needs to prove that Cl(<a, b>) is a subset of [a, b] and investigate the conditions necessary for equality.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, if x is any element in <a, b> it is obviously in [a, b], too. If it happens that either a or b (or both) are in Cl(<a, b>), they are in [a, b] too, so Cl(<a, b>) is a subset of [a, b].

Now, if x is any element of [a, b] different from a and b, obviously x is in <a, b>, too, which is a subset of Cl(<a, b>), and hence x is in Cl(<a, b>). Now, the interesting cases are a and b. Is a in Cl(<a, b>)? Well, if so, then every neighborhood of a intersects <a, b>. Let X be a finite ordered set. Is a is the least element of X, then every interval of the form [a, b> intersects <a, b>, and it's obviously the only type of neighborhood that contains a. But if a is not the least element of X, then <a1, a, a2> (where a1 < a and a2 is the first element such that a2 > a) is a neighborhood containing a which doesn't intersect <a, b>. So, a can't be in Cl(<a, b>) if X is finite, unless a is the least element of X. An analogous proof holds for b.

Now, if my reasoning above is correct, it's natural to ask the question: are a and/or b in Cl(<a, b>) if X is infinite? Clearly, motivated by the arguments above, one can reason that between every element which is the first one greater than a and a itself there should be another element, and so on, so we could chose an open neighborhood of a which intersects <a, b>. So X should be infinite. But does every infinite ordered set satisfy this condition?

I'm a bit confused on this one, thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Oops, it just occured to me that, if X has a smallest element a, {a} is a neighborhood of a which doesn't intersect <a, b> (since the smallest half-interval which contains a is {a}). So, actually, if X is finite, a and b can not belong to Cl(<a, b>). Still, my last question remains open.

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    The inclusion can be strict - consider the least uncountable well-ordered set.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Of course, if we consider N with the order topology, then every interval <a, b> contains at least one element. Clearly, if it contains one element, i.e. if it is of the form <n-1, n+1>, where n is a natural number greater than 2, then <n-2, n> and <n, n+2> are neighborhoods of n-2 and n+2 which contain n-1 and n+1, respectively, and don't intersect <n-1, n+1>. Hence, neither n-1 nor n+1 are contained in the clusure of <n-1, n+1>.

But still, the question about the other inclusion remains. Is there a general rule for an ordered set X so that [a, b] = Cl(<a, b>) for any a, b in X?

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Here's an example where [a, b] is a subset of Cl(<a, b>): if <a, b> is a dense subset of X, then every open set in X intersects <a, b>. Hence, for every x in [a, b], and for any neighborhood Ux of x, Ux intersects <a, b>, so [a, b] is contained in Cl(<a, b>).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook