Build Your Own Cloud Chamber for Particle Detection

In summary: You'd need some crazy particle detectors to even have a chance.In summary, Chris said that the Boy Scouts are now filled with super-scientists, and that he doesn't think it's a good idea to build a cloud chamber because it might erase all the videos on the block.
amwatsonbadia
[?] I'm thinking of building a simple cloud chamber in order to detect small particles such as muons, neutrinos, and the like. I have read some handbooks but I would be grateful if someone could lend me a hand by providing some instructions. I only have three months to prepare this so I need the infotmation as a matter o urgency. Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apperently no one here can build one.

rastafari II

Mr kaku in one of his books said that he built one when he was young and it took a mad amount of copper wire. i don't think you can detect nuetrinos unless you got a old salt mine 50 miles deep and some crazy ill photonic tubes to detect them. that's a grip of loot. i wanted to build a bubble chamber too. but i figured that its probly too big to put in my house and it might erase every video tape on the block.

Boy Scout Merit Badge requirements

It must not be too hard. It's one of the options that fulfils the activity requirement for the Boy Scout Merit Badge.
http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/024.htm [Broken]

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but those boyscouts are all like, supernuclear physicists these days. and they
are all backed by bill gates with secret funding from the military. who do you think
pays for all those platinum plated badges?

Cloud Chamber Answer

I recently built one of these mechanisms myself. It took only a few hours to construct. If you still need some help or advice, I'd be glad to help you out. Please reply if you need some :biggrin:

Skunkmere said:
Mr kaku in one of his books said that he built one when he was young and it took a mad amount of copper wire. i don't think you can detect nuetrinos unless you got a old salt mine 50 miles deep and some crazy ill photonic tubes to detect them. that's a grip of loot. i wanted to build a bubble chamber too. but i figured that its probly too big to put in my house and it might erase every video tape on the block.

What Dr. Kaku said in his book Hyperspace is that the betatron he built in his family's garage took all that wire and dimmed the house lights when it was turned on. I believe he also built a cloud chamber, but it wasn't such a heroic project. If you can get the book The Amateur Scientist by Stong, it tells you how to build several different cloud chambers, from very simple to pretty good.

Easy! Did this at school. Great fun playing with the dry ice...

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~adf4/cloud.html [Broken]

Good luck catching those neutrinos by the way...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a cloud chamber and how does it work?

A cloud chamber is a device used to detect the presence of subatomic particles such as alpha and beta particles. It works by creating a supersaturated vapor of alcohol or water vapor that is cooled. When a particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the vapor, creating visible trails that can be observed.

What materials do I need to build a cloud chamber?

To build a cloud chamber, you will need a glass jar or container, dry ice, isopropyl alcohol, felt or other absorbent material, a source of light, and a piece of clear plastic or glass for the lid. You may also need some insulating materials and a hot glue gun to secure the components together.

Can I use a cloud chamber to detect all types of subatomic particles?

A cloud chamber is most effective at detecting charged particles such as alpha and beta particles. It can also detect gamma rays, but they may not produce visible trails. Neutrons, on the other hand, may not be easily detected by a cloud chamber as they do not have a charge.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a cloud chamber?

When handling dry ice, be sure to wear gloves and handle it carefully as it can cause frostbite. Isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable, so make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area and keep it away from any sources of heat or flame. Additionally, do not touch the dry ice or the chamber while it is in use as it can cause burns.

What can I do with the data collected from my cloud chamber?

The data collected from a cloud chamber can provide valuable insights into the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with matter. It can also be used to study radiation and its effects on the environment. Additionally, the setup can be modified to detect specific particles or to perform experiments related to particle physics.