Cloud Chambers - I to know what particle this is

In summary, a cloud chamber is a device used to detect and track subatomic particles. It works by creating a supersaturated vapor and detecting the ionization caused by the particles. A wide range of particles can be detected, including alpha particles, beta particles, and cosmic rays. The trails left by the particles can help identify their type, charge, and mass. Cloud chambers are still used in modern scientific research, particularly in particle physics, and in educational settings.
edusmartin
TL;DR Summary
I need help to identificate a particle
Hi, my son is fan of the Quantum Physics and we developed a cloud chamber. I'm attaching an image of particle sequence and I will like to find some help to know witch particle is. I will appreciate any help on it. Thanks

Attachments

• particle-review.jpg
    particle-review.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 131
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
It must be charged particles so beta or alpha. Beta has longer and thinner tracks. ref.

Likes edusmartin and vanhees71
Thanks so much @anuttarasammyak !

Also, it's not uncommon to see muons (and occasionally other cosmic ray related particles) in a cloud chamber.

The average flux of muons at sea level is about 1 per square centimeter per minute.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is a cloud chamber?

A cloud chamber is a scientific instrument used to detect and track the path of charged particles, such as alpha and beta particles, as well as cosmic rays. It consists of a sealed container filled with a supersaturated vapor, which condenses into droplets along the path of a charged particle, making its path visible.

2. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated vapor inside a sealed container. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the vapor, causing it to condense into droplets along the particle's path. These droplets form a visible track, allowing scientists to study the properties and behavior of the particle.

3. What particles can be detected with a cloud chamber?

A cloud chamber can detect a variety of charged particles, including alpha and beta particles, as well as cosmic rays. It can also detect particles produced in particle accelerators, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

4. How can you determine what particle is detected in a cloud chamber?

The type of particle detected in a cloud chamber can be determined by analyzing its track. Alpha particles, for example, leave short, thick tracks, while beta particles leave longer, thinner tracks. The curvature of the track can also provide information about the particle's charge and momentum.

5. What are the practical applications of cloud chambers?

Cloud chambers have been used in various fields of research, including nuclear physics, particle physics, and atmospheric science. They have also been used in educational settings to demonstrate the properties of charged particles and the principles of radioactivity. In addition, cloud chambers have been used in the development and testing of radiation detectors and other scientific instruments.