Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cloud Computing

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=245" [Broken]

I'm really hesitant about jumping on the cloud computing bandwagon. There's something about it that makes me uneasy. Am I being a curmudgeon for wanting to have complete control of my data?

FYI: We back up our data twice each day onto external RAID ("redundant array of independent disks" or something to that effect) hard drives.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

fss

Do you use any web-based e-mail service? If you do, you're already there.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    But my research, financial information, etc., aren't on my web-based email, so if my email gets hacked, my financial information is still safe, and my research (data files, etc.) remains inaccessible. I've never once accessed my checking account via my iPhone; if someone steals my phone, they might be able to check my email, but they're not going to be able to get any other personal information out of it (I'm not dumb enough to store important passwords or other login information on my phone).

I like keeping my devices (and their corresponding information) separate.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I like the idea of cloud computing for convenience and for outsourcing computation however with recent corporate data atrocities like the Sony hacking cases or facebook's awful privacy policies I wouldn't trust placing all my data online.

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5

fss

You have no way of knowing that your financial data is safe. Just because there's nothing in your e-mail (and in all actuality your financial data is stored on your e-mail server somewhere if you ever used it for banking), you're still at the http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304778304576375911873193624.html".

You're probably not as good at this as you think. Most people aren't.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Jul 24, 2011 #6
    Use dropbox and your opinion will change too fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook