Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Cloud of moving stars

1. Mar 23, 2017 #21
    I saw something like this tonight. I thought it was a cloud at first , but I was moving a lot faster then a cloud. It was a pretty calm evening too. I thought it was possibly a flock of geese, but I watched it until it disappeared. I then saw another one about 5 minutes later come from the same direction only this one was much smaller. I saw a third one after that come from a completely different direction and it was smaller the the first two. It almost looked like anew outfielder of a ghost floating in the dark sky!

2. Mar 25, 2017 #22
    I've seen something like this myself, many years ago. I saw it twice. It was a group of lights, bright like a low flying aircraft except it was quiet. It looked very low and slow (best guess 5000ft and 50mph), if it was high up, like 20-30k feet it would mean it was bright and fast. Maybe as many as a few dozen lights that moved amongst each other. It was lights, not birds. I've never been able to explain it. Definitely not an astronomical phenomena.

3. Aug 1, 2017 #23
    Saw it too this night (01/08/2017) around 23h30 and it stood for several minutes. Im from Coimbra, Portugal. it looked like a swarm of little lights same size as stars. what surprised me was the fast they could shine and movements they did. the cloud or swarm could take diferent shapes and always shining super fast, like is discribed in this post. besides the reason i found this post is because i googled what i saw to find a answer/reason to it. its realy weird and first time i saw it, i couldnt tape it, my phone is old and i dont have a camera.

4. Aug 1, 2017 #24
    It would not be surprising if the US, or even an EU country decided to test rockets and stuff in the North Atlantic, so clearly visible from Portugal.

5. Aug 1, 2017 #25
    maybe is more like a star cluster https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2016/hubble-sees-star-clusters-orbiting-a-galaxy
    Star clusters visible to the naked eye include Pleiades, Hyades and the Beehive Cluster
    can star clusters shine super fast and the way they shine make them look like they can take diferent shapes?

6. Aug 1, 2017 #26
    Constellations are called that because they don't change shape, they look the same every day, and probably will look the same in a thousand years.
    Your man Magellan figured that out

7. Aug 2, 2017 #27
    yes i know they cant change shape, but since they are thousands together they can shine in random ways making it look like they are moving no? kinda like a screen, u have so many tiny pixels that when some are on and others are off create diferent shapes to our eyes.

8. Aug 2, 2017 #28
    I've seen something similar to this while on the NAVY base at Andros back in the early 1980's... we were all at the beach sitting around talking just after the sun had set... in the sky we noticed a group of stars all of a sudden start moving in different directions and then come together as one bright object... it traveled across the sky (not birds or planes) and then for about several arcs across the sky they split again and zoomed off at high velocities each going in different directions. Now some of us were pilots and officers and we could not even think about what we just saw. We know it wasn't airplanes, meteors (they wouldn't change directions), or birds since we knew these were definitely in the outer orbit of Earth. To this day the only thing we saw that came close to what we saw was in the movie Close Encounters when the small UFO crafts were flying around in the scene where they went off the cliff with police officers chasing at minute 7:36.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  9. Aug 21, 2017 #29
    Hey there!
    We saw that phenomenom yesterday at pinzio, Pinhel (Portugal). Another Group in a Near village saw it too.

I'll try to explain:
    There were thousands (uncountable just by looking) of "Stars" moving above The sky (from northeast to southwest). They were blinking and shining like a cold light you know from LEDs in bathroom. It seems like they were Moving in Formation. Just a little Group of this "Stars" were a little Bit away from The big group. They moved a little bit faster as airplanes. You could See this phenomenom just a few minutes After the lights were move away at southwest (They didnt disappear at The horizone- they just lose their shining like they were too fast away to See them anymore).

We thinked about that it Could be something like LED lanterns of a festival far away. But we are not really sure because The lights were toooo many and The movement was too fast .. we used this lanterns once in past.

Google says that a lot of people saw something like that at 2003, 2012, 2013, ....

Has anyone a new Idea what that could be? How about The man who created this Thread?

Thank you very much and ... yea - im really sorry for my english ^^.

10. Aug 22, 2017 #30
    Sounds like cloud formations and atmospheric phenomenon (e.g. tricks of light and reflections). No way they can be stars. All stars are charted and predictable.

What were the winds like in the region at the time? (ground and higher altitudes) Is it possible to obtain airtraffic control data?
    Was it by any chance near the air-way path of your region?

Another thing it could perhaps be: military formations (of latest technology projects), or some kind of excercise ...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. Aug 22, 2017 #31
    Also (cf. my previous separate post), one has to consider the possibility of Auroral Activity. We keep having current geomagnetic conditions (due to the sun's activity) every now and then, that would allow it. Including on the day that you mention. And Aurora can be very tricky! ... You always think it's something else ...
    [However, I don't think we had aurora visible at middle altitudes lately.]

12. Aug 23, 2017 #32

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NO ... sorry but that is so very wrong

Dave

13. Aug 23, 2017 #33

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's impossible to do anything but speculate blindly, with only these written eyewitness reports to go on. After two and a half years, we don't seem to be making any progress. Therefore this thread is now closed.

If a verified explanation does eventually emerge, and someone wants to post it, please use the "Report" link at the bottom of this post to contact the Mentors (moderators), and we will consider re-opening this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook