Solving Cloud Physics Problems - Brad's Request for Help

In summary: Therefore, the number of drops can be calculated using the equation: N = (3 * A * h) / (4 * pi * r^3)Where N is the number of drops, A is the area to be covered, h is the depth of rainfall, and r is the radius of each drop. In order to calculate N, we need to know the values of A, h, and r. The given values are A = 1 * 10^21, h = 0.5 cm, and r = 0.5 * 10^-4m. Plugging these values into the equation gives us:N = (3 * (1 * 10^21) * (0.5 cm
brad sue
Hi I have those 2 problems:

A typical cloud contains droplets of water with an average radius of .5 * 10^-4m.
how many droplets are needed for a cloud that provides a rainfall of .5 cm.
( the answer must be 1*10^21 droplets)

for this second problem I don't know how to find two equations:

A force F acting on a body of mass m a distance r from some origin has a magnitude of F=(A*m*exp(h*r))/r^4, where A and h are both constants.
Given that the force has dimensions kilogram-meter per seconds squared, what are the dimensions of both A and h.

Please can I have some help or suggestions for those problems?

Thank you very much

brad

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) [tex]N = \frac{3 A h}{4 \pi r^3}[/tex]

where A is the area to be covered, h = 0.5 cm is the depth and r is the radius of each drop.

(b) Hint: the argument of the exponential must be dimensionless - and - the dimensions of mA must be that of the force.

Last edited:
Yeah (b) shouldn't be a problem...

But what is (a)??

Granted I'm in high school but I've never encountered that kind of physics... where does it come from?

It is college physics freshman
but I am sure U can do it :smile:

I have no idea how Tide find the solution for the first problem ( N=...)
I will try to work on it but if I don't find something I will ask him how he did it.
Thanks

brad

HiPPiE said:
Yeah (b) shouldn't be a problem...

But what is (a)??

Granted I'm in high school but I've never encountered that kind of physics... where does it come from?

The total volume of the drops (number of drops times the volume of each drop) is equal to the volume of the fallen rain (depth of rainfall times the area covered by the rain).

What is cloud physics?

Cloud physics is the study of the physical processes and properties of clouds, such as their formation, growth, and dissipation.

Why is solving cloud physics problems important?

Solving cloud physics problems is important because it helps us better understand and predict weather patterns, which can have a significant impact on our daily lives.

What are some common cloud physics problems?

Some common cloud physics problems include understanding cloud formation and precipitation processes, studying the effects of clouds on climate change, and predicting severe weather events.

What tools and techniques are used to solve cloud physics problems?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to solve cloud physics problems, including satellite imagery, computer models, and field experiments. They also use concepts and principles from physics, meteorology, and mathematics to analyze and interpret data.

How can I get help with solving cloud physics problems?

If you need help with solving cloud physics problems, you can consult with experts in the field, attend conferences and workshops, and access online resources and databases. You can also collaborate with other scientists and researchers to share knowledge and insights.