1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cloud physics help

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    Hi I have those 2 problems:

A typical cloud contains droplets of water with an average radius of .5 * 10^-4m.
    how many droplets are needed for a cloud that provides a rainfall of .5 cm.
    ( the answer must be 1*10^21 droplets)

for this second problem I don't know how to find two equations:

A force F acting on a body of mass m a distance r from some origin has a magnitude of F=(A*m*exp(h*r))/r^4, where A and h are both constants.
    Given that the force has dimensions kilogram-meter per seconds squared, what are the dimensions of both A and h.

Please can I have some help or suggestions for those problems?

Thank you very much

brad

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a) [tex]N = \frac{3 A h}{4 \pi r^3}[/tex]

where A is the area to be covered, h = 0.5 cm is the depth and r is the radius of each drop.

(b) Hint: the argument of the exponential must be dimensionless - and - the dimensions of mA must be that of the force.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  4. Aug 24, 2005 #3
    Yeah (b) shouldn't be a problem...

But what is (a)??

Granted I'm in high school but I've never encountered that kind of physics... where does it come from?

5. Aug 24, 2005 #4
    It is college physics freshman
    but I am sure U can do it :smile:

I have no idea how Tide find the solution for the first problem ( N=....)
    I will try to work on it but if I don't find something I will ask him how he did it.
    Thanks

brad

6. Aug 24, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The total volume of the drops (number of drops times the volume of each drop) is equal to the volume of the fallen rain (depth of rainfall times the area covered by the rain).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?