Why don't clouds refract light?

• Thread starter Frank-95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: I never saw any cloud refract the different colors of the light though, except some halos around the moon at night.The atmosphere does refract light, which is why we see certain colors around the moon when it's night. This is also why the sun sometimes casts a halo around it.I never saw any cloud refract the different colors of the light though, except some halos around the moon at night.In summary, clouds do not refract light because they are composed of water droplets. The atmosphere does refract light, which is why we see certain colors around the moon when it's night.
Frank-95
Hi all.

I have just passed my phisics 2 exam since a little time, and during the study of refraction a questions arose into my head: Why clouds does not refract light?
They are water vapour after all, so why do they not refract light, like it happens after raining with rainbows?

Science news on Phys.org
Atmosphere does refract light.

I never saw any cloud refracts the different colors of the light though, except some halos around the moon at night.

Frank-95 said:
I never saw any cloud refracts the different colors of the light though, except some halos around the moon at night.

and of the sun, also look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud
and this ( I have seen many times)

th.jpg

all caused by the refraction of sunlight through ice crystals in cloudsDave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Frank-95 said:
I never saw any cloud refracts the different colors of the light though,
From your wording, it sounds like your picture of refraction is a light being dispersed into different colors. That is dispersion, not refraction. Clouds can also cause dispersion though, the example of which has been given by davenn above, as well as the halos.

blue_leaf77 said:
Clouds can also cause dispersion though, the example of which has been given by davenn above

dispersion may better describe it
I, maybe mistakenly, had always thought of it as refraction through the ice crystals
Refraction resulting in dispersion ?? :-p

Dave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Both refraction and dispersion are occurring. Dispersion occurs because of wavelength-dependent refraction.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
So all clouds refract light and clouds with ice crystals disperse it due to the crystal structures interacting with the light at various wavelengths/frequencies?

Any time light passes through a medium it will refract, ie, the vacuum/atmosphere interface, the atmosphere/water interface, etc.The velocity of light is different in air vs, a vacuum, vs water. The magnitude will depend on the medium's refractive index. As someone else said, the dispersion is wavelength dependent.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
That’s beautiful, @davenn! I never saw that before. Perhaps I should look up more.

We get that effect here a lot in sunny S Florida, especially with our summertime clouds.

Kevin McHugh said:
We get that effect here a lot in sunny S Florida, especially with our summertime clouds.
I live in sunny S California, and we have summertime clouds, too :wink:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I live in sunny S California, and we have summertime clouds, too :wink:

Then look up more often Quarky! :-p

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Kevin McHugh said:
Then look up more often Quarky! :-p
Will do! I tend to walk looking slightly down, in fear of tripping on something, but then I’m unaware of what’s on top of me . . . or in front of me (like that lady holding a baby at the grocery store or that metal pole at the tennis court) :rolleyes:

I have to pick between cracks, poles, ladies, and refraction of light. Which one is most important?? :smile::smile:

The main effect in clouds is the scattering of light (Mie scattering). Water droplets in the clouds scatter all wavelengths from the sun, making the clouds appear white. In the sky, the molecules are small, Rayleight scattering predominates and is strongest for blue wavelengths.

Frank-95 said:
Hi all.

I have just passed my phisics 2 exam since a little time, and during the study of refraction a questions arose into my head: Why clouds does not refract light?
They are water vapour after all, so why do they not refract light, like it happens after raining with rainbows?

As pixel mentioned, clouds (whether composed of ice or liquid water) primarily scatter light, clouds appear white because the light is multiply scattered. Like snow. And milk.

1. Why don't clouds refract light?

Clouds are made up of tiny water droplets or ice crystals, which are not dense enough to cause significant refraction of light. The water droplets and ice crystals are not uniform in size and shape, which also contributes to the lack of refraction. Additionally, clouds are constantly moving and changing shape, making it difficult for light to pass through them in a straight path and be refracted.

2. Can clouds refract light at all?

While clouds do not typically refract light, under certain conditions such as during a thunderstorm, the water droplets or ice crystals in the clouds may be large and dense enough to cause some refraction of light. This can result in phenomena such as a rainbow or a halo around the sun or moon.

3. Why do we see colors in the sky if clouds don't refract light?

Even though clouds themselves do not refract light, they do scatter sunlight in all directions. This scattering process can cause the different wavelengths of light to separate, resulting in the colors we see in the sky, such as red and orange during sunrise and sunset.

4. Do other objects besides clouds refract light?

Yes, any object that has a different density or composition than the air around it can refract light. For example, glass and water are common objects that can refract light. However, the amount of refraction depends on the object's density and shape, as well as the properties of the light passing through it.

5. What other factors can affect the refraction of light?

The refraction of light can also be influenced by the temperature and humidity of the air, as well as the angle at which the light is entering the object. Different materials also have different refractive indices, meaning they can cause light to bend at different angles. These factors all play a role in how light is refracted or not refracted by objects in our environment.