1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CLUELESS about a Maclaurin series

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    CLUELESS about a Maclaurin series!!

I'm supposed to obtain a Maclaurin series for the function defined by

[tex] f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lc} e^{-1/x^2} & \mbox{ if } x \neq 0 \\
    0 & \mbox{ if } x = 0 \end{array} \right. [/tex]

I get immediately stuck as I find:

[tex] f(0) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] f^{\prime}(0) = \mbox{ undefined } [/tex]
    [tex] f^{\prime \prime}(0) = \mbox{ undefined } [/tex]
    [tex] f^{\prime \prime \prime}(0) = \mbox{ undefined } [/tex]
    [tex] f^{(4)}(0) = \mbox{ undefined } [/tex]

[tex] f^{(n)}(0) = \mbox{ undefined } \qquad n > 0 [/tex]

Thus, we may write

[tex] f(x) = f(0) + \frac{f^{\prime}(0)}{1!}x + \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(0)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{f^{\prime \prime \prime}(0)}{3!}x^3 + \cdots [/tex]

How do I handle the undefined results? (I'm supposed to show that the Maclaurin series is not equal to the given function)

Thank you very much. :smile:
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
    Not sure if this is right or not. We know that [tex]f'(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lc} e^{1/x^3} & \mbox{ if } x \neq 0 \\
    0 & \mbox{ if } x = 0 \end{array} \right.[/tex] So [itex]f'(0)=0[/itex], which is well defined.
  4. Nov 10, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You messed up the chain rule, Corneo.

Thiago: are you sure f'(0) is undefined?
  5. Nov 10, 2004 #4
    0 is a constant.

What's the derivative of any constant?

6. Nov 10, 2004 #5
    Thanks for your input, guys.

Justin, I don't think I should take the derivative of f'(0) = 0 (and then take the derivative of this constant), but instead find each derivative and later evaluate at x = 0. This is how I got my results.

Hurkyl, here you go:

[tex] f^{\prime} (x) = \frac{d}{dx} \left( e^{-1/x^2} \right) = \frac{2e^{-1/x^2}}{x^3} \Longrightarrow f^{\prime} (0) = \mbox{undefined} [/tex]

I've just evaluated that over again in TI, and this time I also calculated

[tex] f(x) = 0 + \mbox{undefined} +\mbox{undefined} + \mbox{undefined} + \cdots = \mbox{undefined} \neq \left\{ \begin{array}{lc} e^{-1/x^2} & \mbox{ if } x \neq 0 \\
    0 & \mbox{ if } x = 0 \end{array} \right. [/tex]

which sounds reasonable, since I need to show they're not equal.
  7. Nov 10, 2004 #6

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks to me like you've done that.
  8. Nov 11, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, but near zero, the function is not defined as [itex]f(x) = e^{-1/x^2}[/itex]!
  9. Nov 11, 2004 #8
    that is, at zero, you mean. but yeah, that fact makes the function differentiable at zero (some tinkering indicates the lim of f(x)-f(0)/(x-0) as x goes to zero exists and is zero now that f(0) is defined; should doublecheck, though), so you can write a Maclaurin expansion that'll fail.

thiago_j - i think you're a bit confused about this, the derivative of 0 is not, in general, undefined (though it can be when a function is not differentiable at 0).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?