Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clueless people

1. May 4, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just can't understand how some people can be so clueless. A girl I work with is constantly coming to me for help with using the circuit pricing system. I have walked her through the same process probably 50 times, seriously.

Yesterday she insisted I show her "one more time". She had already started a quote, but couldn't figure it out. The quote was listed by the company name which started with a "P". She opens page "1" these are customer names starting with "A". Then she clicks on page "2", these are customer's starting with "C", then she clicks on page "3" AARRGGHHH. Ok, you have 10 pages of quotes listed alphabetically, you might want to try page 8 or 9. She clicked on every page one at a time looking for it.

Sorry, I just had to rant. I have no door on my cubicle and I'm supposed to help people, but dear god, there is a limit. :surprised

I guess we are all surrounded by these people, I'm just NOT a patient person. How do you deal with people like this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Institute an IQ test criterion for hiring.

4. May 4, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What do you mean?

5. May 4, 2006 #4

Astronuc

You have my condolensces.

I tend to avoid people like this. My company would not hire such people.

I work alone, except when visiting the main corporate office or clients' sites.

At my previous company, we did have nut-case, who did not get it. We pretty much left him alone, but I did have to occasionally deal with him when he stood in the doorway and stare into my office, that is when he wasn't pacing the back and forth in the hallway outside my office. :rolleyes:
    :rofl:

6. May 4, 2006 #5
    You wind them up until they get soo fed up that they dont talk to you again. I did that on friday and the guy still hasnt talked to me and we work on ramps that are next to each other.

7. May 4, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean the "Cargo Cult" people? The ones that need a detailed ritual to perform because they have no idea how the system works, why they do what they do, and no idea what happens if they deviate from the ritual they perform.

You write a detailed checklist they can follow and pray nothing ever happens to disrupt the routine. That never actually works, of course.

I used to work space surveillance and we had a person on crew who analyzed the shape and attitude of the objects we tracked. One night, he came on crew, followed his checklist to the letter, and found nothing at all unordinary that every object we tracked had the exact same shape and each object was incredibly stable (i.e. - he had flat lines across the screen for every object he analyzed for 8 hours straight - this is equivalent to driving 8 hours straight and not noticing that your speed and the scenery haven't changed). He worked an entire 8 hour shift without realizing his console wasn't working. When they send people like that to you for corrective training, you're tempted to ask, "Can I use a bat?"

8. May 4, 2006 #7

jtbell

Have you ever driven across western Texas? :rolleyes:

9. May 4, 2006 #8

Evo

This reminds me of a guy I worked with in New Jersey. He didn't last very long. When you first turn on your work computer, there is a statement saying that access to the systems are restricted to authorized users only. He would call out "it's telling me again I'm not authorized to use this". Oy.

It's mind boggling. :bugeye: How do these people get hired?

10. May 4, 2006 #9

Evo

:rofl: :biggrin:

11. May 4, 2006 #10
    That sounds like my mom on the computer. She insists that she needs to write everything down and when she does it enough times she will remember it and it will all be fine. If I worked like that I wouldn't be past second grade. Memory is great, but there's a limit...

12. May 4, 2006 #11

Astronuc

Oh yeah - from SA to EP - as fast as possible. Time - less than 7 hrs - probably closer to 6. Passed every car.

13. May 4, 2006 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And all these people are allowed to vote. That's what bothers me most.

14. May 4, 2006 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Atleast, you're lucky that they aren't the ones who you're supposed to vote for.

15. May 4, 2006 #14

Astronuc

Unfortunately in some cases they are. :rolleyes:

16. May 4, 2006 #15

berkeman

For situations like this, I write a crib sheet out for the person as I'm explaining it. Then I leave the crib sheet with them. If they come ask for help on the same thing again, I ask to see the crib sheet, and have them use it while I watch. Once or twice is usually enough to get them doing it on their own.

But I do know what you mean, though. Reminds me of the guy who used to re-type URLs that people sent him into his IE address bar -- even the *really* loooong ones! When I showed him how to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V copy/paste the URL text into the address bar, he was dumbfounded. :rolleyes:

17. May 4, 2006 #16

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the situation I'm facing.

18. May 4, 2006 #17
    Threads like this make me hate humanity even more :cry:

19. May 4, 2006 #18

Evo

Unfortunately, you have to first understand what you're trying to price before you can use the system.

Me: What are you trying to price?

her: He said he wants black fiber.

Me: You mean dark fiber? We no longer sell it.

Her:Oh, or an OC12

Me:An OC12 to what?

her:I don't know, he says he wants to buy 6 strands off it.

Me:We don't do that. Did you ask him what he's trying to do?

her: No, I guess I should have, I was just so confused. Can you talk to him?

This is typical of every conversation. :grumpy:

20. May 4, 2006 #19

berkeman

Wow. Now I'm really starting to feel your pain. That kind of person wouldn't last very long here at my work. Time for a little hire/fire action, isn't it? You're not working in France, right?

(EDIT -- oops, er, no offense to the French.)

21. May 4, 2006 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm..possibly there are just fine for they job they are hired for, but then the Peter Principle kicks in when they get promoted?

Your first post about the woman navigating through the last names in the system reminds me of some of the things I see at work. (Sometimes I have to go out and troubleshoot so I have to watch what people are doing at their workstations.) For instance, I have seen more than one person create his/her capital letters when typing by first pressing Capslock, typing the letter, pressing Capslock again, and then proceeding.:bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?