Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cluster computing/botnet

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1

THIS IS NOT A HACKING QUESTION, I am just interested in distributed computing.

I was wondering if anybody around might know what prevents a "botnet" from being something like a WAN beowulf cluster?

Thanks, :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

How is a project like BOINC and SETI@HOME, different from the way a botnet gives large amounts of regular home PCs tasks?
  4. Aug 12, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

........actually the differences between a botnet and for example a HTC cluster (of which have most experience) are fairly small I'd say. In both (at least with a typical config) if a user's workstation is utilized they don't necessarily have much control over what the cluster software is doing on their computers and when (Ok, if use personal workstations as a part of a HTC cluster typically configure the cluster appls to run only when the station is idle or during nighttime etc.). Sure a botnet if understood in a typical context goes "somewhat" beyond. How similar is the coding underneath and what protocols they utilize ..... hmmmm :confused:
  5. Aug 12, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One difference is the communications in the cluster.
    A cluster normally allows direct communications between nodes, sometimes this is even a very expensive high performance network like InfiniBand rather than just ethernet.
    A SETI or botnet cannot easily communicate between machines because of firewalls and so all coms is to the master node.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?