Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cluster computing/botnet

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1

Mk

First,
    THIS IS NOT A HACKING QUESTION, I am just interested in distributed computing.

I was wondering if anybody around might know what prevents a "botnet" from being something like a WAN beowulf cluster?

Thanks, :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

Mk

How is a project like BOINC and SETI@HOME, different from the way a botnet gives large amounts of regular home PCs tasks?

4. Aug 12, 2008 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

........actually the differences between a botnet and for example a HTC cluster (of which have most experience) are fairly small I'd say. In both (at least with a typical config) if a user's workstation is utilized they don't necessarily have much control over what the cluster software is doing on their computers and when (Ok, if use personal workstations as a part of a HTC cluster typically configure the cluster appls to run only when the station is idle or during nighttime etc.). Sure a botnet if understood in a typical context goes "somewhat" beyond. How similar is the coding underneath and what protocols they utilize ..... hmmmm :confused:

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One difference is the communications in the cluster.
    A cluster normally allows direct communications between nodes, sometimes this is even a very expensive high performance network like InfiniBand rather than just ethernet.
    A SETI or botnet cannot easily communicate between machines because of firewalls and so all coms is to the master node.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook