Finding a Sequence with Limit Set [0,1]

In summary: The article is a bit dense, but it's a pretty good read. In summary, the author shows that since the sequence sin n is non-repeating, then every point in the interval [-1,1] is a cluster point. This is intuitively clear, but the author provides a rigorous proof.
PingPong

Homework Statement

Find a sequence whose set of subsequential limits is the interval [0,1].

Homework Equations

If the sequence does not repeat itself, then any subsequential limit is a cluster point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've an idea that [itex]|\sin n|[/itex] is a solution to this, but I'm not sure how to prove this.

What I need to show is that, since the sequence I've chosen is non-repeating, then every point in the interval [0,1] is a cluster point. That is, if I take any number in [0,1] and am given an epsilon>0, can I always find an infinite amount of members in the sequence in an epsilon neighborhood around the number? This seems to intuitively work since [itex]|\sin n| [/itex] is all over the interval [0,1] (though not necessarily touching every point in the interval), but can this argument be made more rigorous? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What can the rationals in [0,1] do for you?

|sin(n)| does almost certainly work. But I don't know an obvious proof of this. Maybe think about an easier example though. How about n*sqrt(2) mod 1? That should be 'all over', too, and maybe easier to deal with. Sorry, but I was just going zzzzz and found your post, so I can't give hints right now.

morphism said:
What can the rationals in [0,1] do for you?

Works also, and even easier. Nice.

Thanks Dick and Morphism. I feel really silly now - I was trying to make it much too complicated. Obviously, since the closure of [itex]Q\cap [0,1][/itex] is again [0,1], then the subsequential limits of a sequence of rational numbers in that interval (say, in the order given by the Cantor diagonalization process, throwing away those outside the interval) is the interval itself.

As a side note, in my search for information on cluster points, I stumbled upon an article (on JStor, which my university subscribes to, so I won't post the url since most people won't be able to access) that gives a proof that the cluster points of sin n is the interval [-1,1].

What is "Finding a Sequence with Limit Set [0,1]"?

"Finding a Sequence with Limit Set [0,1]" is a mathematical concept where a sequence of numbers is identified that approaches a specific limit within the range of 0 to 1.

Why is it important to find a sequence with limit set [0,1]?

Finding a sequence with limit set [0,1] is important because it helps us understand the behavior of numbers within a specific range. This information can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What are the steps involved in finding a sequence with limit set [0,1]?

The steps involved in finding a sequence with limit set [0,1] include identifying the given limit, determining the range of numbers (0 to 1), and then finding a pattern or algorithm that produces a sequence of numbers that approaches the given limit within the specified range.

Can any sequence of numbers have a limit set [0,1]?

No, not all sequences of numbers have a limit set [0,1]. Only sequences that approach a specific limit within the range of 0 to 1 can have a limit set [0,1].

How is "Finding a Sequence with Limit Set [0,1]" useful in real life scenarios?

"Finding a Sequence with Limit Set [0,1]" has various applications in real life scenarios such as predicting stock prices, understanding the behavior of natural phenomena, and optimizing processes in engineering and technology. It also helps in solving complex mathematical problems and making accurate predictions based on data analysis.