Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clutch design

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1

i'm in my first yr of mech eng and i have to deisgn a clutch system in a car.
    i've gotten all the main formulas for the time required for a clutching operation, energy dissipation and change in temp of the clutch disc. however for these i need the moment of inertia of the flywheel and output shaft. the formula is I = Mk^2 where k is the radius of gyration. i cant seem to find an approximate value of k. if the flywheel was circular i could have solved it but in this case it is non-circular. can anyone please help me out?
    as this is my first yr, they are looking for approximations of values. i have taken a couple of approximations, can anyone tell me if these are good enough. for the mass of the flywheel i searched online an approx value and for a steel based flywheel to be 6.8kg.
    the output shaft diameter i have taken as 10 cm? and what would the mass of the output shaft be?
    can anyone please tell me if these values are good enough?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted