CM Momentum Equations: My Notes Reveal

• Thread starter Chronos000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a two-body collision with one particle initially stationary. Using a Galilean transformation to the lab frame, the momenta before and after the collision are calculated. The equations 7.23 and 7.24 are derived by substituting the fact that p2=0 into the equations for p1 and q1. The expert then further explains the derivation of these equations using substitutions.
Chronos000
my notes tell me the following, speaking about a two body collision with one particle initially stationary. However i have no clue where lines 7.23 and 7.24 come from. (big "V" is CM velocity, v* is velocity of particle relative to the CM)

Taking a Galilean transformation to the lab frame, before the collision we get:
p1= m1 v1 = m1(v∗1 + V) = p∗ + m1 V
p2= m2 v2 = m2(v∗2 + V) = −p∗ + m2 V
while after the collision we get:
q1= q∗ + m1 V (7.21)
q2= −q∗ + m2 V. (7.22)
Exploiting the fact that p2= 0 we find

p1= p∗(1 + m1/m2) (7.23)
q1= q∗ + p∗m1/m2 (7.24)
q2= p∗ − q∗. (7.25)

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos000 said:
my notes tell me the following, speaking about a two body collision with one particle initially stationary. However i have no clue where lines 7.23 and 7.24 come from. (big "V" is CM velocity, v* is velocity of particle relative to the CM)

Taking a Galilean transformation to the lab frame, before the collision we get:
p1= m1 v1 = m1(v∗1 + V) = p∗ + m1 V
p2= m2 v2 = m2(v∗2 + V) = −p∗ + m2 V
while after the collision we get:
q1= q∗ + m1 V (7.21)
q2= −q∗ + m2 V. (7.22)
Exploiting the fact that p2= 0 we find

p1= p∗(1 + m1/m2) (7.23)
q1= q∗ + p∗m1/m2 (7.24)
q2= p∗ − q∗. (7.25)
If p2 = 0, p* = m2V. Substitute that value for p* in the first equation and you get

p1 = m2V + m1V = m2V(1 + m1/m2) = p*(1+m1/m2)

Do the same substitution in 7.22 to get 7.25. To get 7.24, let m1V =(m2V)(m1/m2) = p*(m1/m2)

AM

thanks for your help, that makes perfect sense

1. What are CM momentum equations?

The CM momentum equations, also known as the center of mass momentum equations, are mathematical equations that describe the motion and conservation of momentum for a system of particles. They are derived from the principles of Newton's laws of motion and can be applied to a wide range of physical systems.

2. What is the significance of CM momentum equations?

The CM momentum equations are important in physics as they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of systems of particles. They also help us to predict and analyze the behavior of physical systems, such as objects in motion or collisions between particles.

3. How are CM momentum equations derived?

CM momentum equations are derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to a system of particles, we can derive the equations that describe the conservation of momentum for that system.

4. What is the difference between CM momentum equations and regular momentum equations?

The main difference between CM momentum equations and regular momentum equations is that the former are specifically derived for a system of particles, while the latter are more general and can be applied to a single particle or a system of particles. CM momentum equations also take into account the motion of the center of mass of the system.

5. How are CM momentum equations used in real-world applications?

CM momentum equations are used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and structures, in analyzing collisions between objects, and in studying the motion of celestial bodies. They are also used in fields such as mechanics, aerospace engineering, and astrophysics.