Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CMBR - multiple detections of the same 'spots'?

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

COBE first detected the µK components, though the team cautioned against interpreting any particular hot or cold 'spot' as real.

Many independent observations of the CMBR have been made since then (Wayne Hu has a nice website which seems to be pretty comprehensive), including the much-discussed WMAP.

What papers have been published on the extent to which particular spots have been observed by different teams/instruments/missions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

No one has attempted this to my knowledge, Nereid. I would assume the CMBR intensity would be fairly constant, if not of local origin.
  4. Oct 31, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I belive that same spots have been detected by different telescopes. Otherwise things like correlations between clusters and Sunyaev-Zeldovich effect would not be possible at all, and this has been actually done. There are very interesting examples of this. I guess that the CMB maps of different telescopes look very similar, and not only statistically similar.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?